Blue Devils 2019

I guess I hear all the complaints about the use of pop samples but man ...

If I had to choose between a quick, catchy, plainly audible, balanced, studio-produced sample of a Britney Spears song versus a live singer or narrator with huge swathes of airtime who’s falling out of tune etc., I’m going to pick the samples.

I get that some people vote NEITHER, but we’re way past that point. Pick your poison.

At least BD keeps this stuff short. You get, what, 2 quick Britney lyrics? SOME corps have people singing entire songs and practically reciting The Complete Shakespeare sonnets and telling entire life stories on that dang field, and to my mind that’s much much worse.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

On another note, the members hanging/laying on the stages now at the beginning of the ballad is a really simple but nice visual effect.

The movement skills of the whole corps are by far the best they've ever had. Watching a rehearsal vid, you can lose track of who is the guard and who is the horn line. All the dance and expression is adding so much with the little moments they keep creating. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

The movement skills of the whole corps are by far the best they've ever had. Watching a rehearsal vid, you can lose track of who is the guard and who is the horn line. All the dance and expression is adding so much with the little moments they keep creating. 

Does that mean the corps proper is going to be required to have long hair, too? :w00t::doh::rolleyes:

• Haha 3

150 simultaneous hair whips!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

If I had to choose between a quick, catchy, plainly audible, balanced, studio-produced sample of a Britney Spears song versus a live singer or narrator with huge swathes of airtime who’s falling out of tune etc., I’m going to pick the samples.

I get that some people vote NEITHER, but we’re way past that point. Pick your poison.

At least BD keeps this stuff short. You get, what, 2 quick Britney lyrics? SOME corps have people singing entire songs and practically reciting The Complete Shakespeare sonnets and telling entire life stories on that dang field, and to my mind that’s much much worse.

Count me in the neither group. And I’m a huge bluecoats fan. I don’t want to hear pre-recorded music or sound samples or anything. I want to hear the groups perform live music.

Even though I really loved kinetic noise, it just bothered me that the show was basically about using technology to re-record and re-broadcast the music.

In rare circumstances, narration makes a show great. That One Moment is probably the best ever.  I guess I can sort of excuse the stuff that precedes this year’s bluecoats show.  Other than that, I don’t care if I ever hear narration on a drum Corps field.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

True

• Like 1

I am a BD homer but I think the best use of prerecorded music or narration in recent times was ‘16 Academy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pistolpete said:

150 simultaneous hair whips!

We tried that back in the '70's but the wafros really don't whip.

• Haha 3