Blue Devils 2019

Regardless of which show is best, the fact that this is a “horse race” should surprise no one. DCI wants this to be decided on Finals night for obvious reason$.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jsd said:

From my perspective, BD has a complete show that has yet to be realized fully (which they always do in the end, so I am looking forward to that). SCV has too many things that work against what they are trying to achieve. I have been a HUGE Michael Gaines design fan for over two decades, but his design this year is missing the "oomph" that existed in his Cavaliers/POC/Escapade days. Even last year was a brilliant design, and deserved to be rewarded. 

Escapade. 🥰

• Like 1

I know they didn't come in 1st tonight but I feel REALLY good about where this corps is at right now 

1. They opened the spread up from SCV. With SCV receiving so many ordinal scores in the "4" range, I anticipate they will remain in the rear view mirror for the rest of the season

2. The subcaptions really favor BD right now. They won visual content across the board and have big gaps between content and proficiency in many subcaptions including a huge 0.4 gap in brass (while Bloo's gaps are much smaller or are outperforming the book). I don't see BD outright beating Bloo in Music, but I do see them closing that gap and overtaking Bloo in visual by the end of the season. 

This is shaping to be another 2015 type of season. It's going to be close, Bloo's talent levels are off the charts this season and their design is championship caliber. But in the end I think Ghostlight will come together in the last minute and take it all. Going to be exciting to see it unfold!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have to say, as a Bluecoats homer ... I really love BDs show.

I live their brass arrangements. It would be really fun to play this show.

• Like 1

BD ran past SCV like they was driving in reverse. That's three in a row. Tonight's recaps make me giddy. Let's go get Bloo! Won't be easy. Bloo is for real. Much respect to the men and women of Canton. 

• Like 2

I also put this on the Broken Arrow Thread:

With the recaps, if you take the rep/cont scores and match it to perf/achv (8.9 to 8.9 or 9.1 to 9.1, etc) it would look like this

BD // GE total: 36.00  // Visual total: 27.00 // Music total: 26.75 // TOTAL: 89.75

BC // GE total: 36.00 // Visual total: 26.6 // Music total: 26.95 // TOTAL: 89.55

I know, I have too much time 🙂 but I found it interesting!!

• Like 4

So I haven't been following this thread to closely but is there a perceived weakness in the Hornline?

Are they younger than they normally are? 

There are a couple of sections that the Sops feel like have a strained sound where in years past they would handle these sections with ease. Is it an arranging issue? Particularly in the higher voices.

4th in Brass and 3rd in MA are not normally territory for BD

40 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So I haven't been following this thread to closely but is there a perceived weakness in the Hornline?

Are they younger than they normally are? 

There are a couple of sections that the Sops feel like have a strained sound where in years past they would handle these sections with ease. Is it an arranging issue? Particularly in the higher voices.

4th in Brass and 3rd in MA are not normally territory for BD

They were exhibiting similar issues hornline-wise last year too, but they started to figure things out. From what I remember, they were extremely young last year and likely are still a little young this year as well. 

Main issue seems to be intonation. The book is plenty challenging but they still have 3-4 weeks to get it all figured out 

• Like 3

Cappybara   Posted 2 minutes ago

"From what I remember, they were extremely young last year and likely are still a little young this year as well. "

Reply:

As I posted after attending BD "Family Day", BD has 52 Age Outs this year so I would consider them very experienced and the book is plenty challenging. Their progress seems no different from previous years. They start out with a presentable show skeleton and then constantly add layers and refine scores till Finals. BD are masters at this cleaning and improving their show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1