Blue Devils 2019

Looks like the battle for the gold this year will likely be super tight down to the very end! Much fun and sport will be had prognosticating about this in the days/weeks ahead, so out of curiosity for historic precedents, I did some math to see how these 2 great groups changed in point spread from SA to Indy relative to each other over the past 5 years. In 3 of the years, BD gained over .2, while in 2 of them they did not. This year's match-up feels more like '18 or '16 to me which would put the groups within a 0.1 to 0.2 spread at finals. However, this season could still yet hold some unprecedented surprises - good times!

BD's spread relative to Bloo at SA and Indy Finals and the net change in spread between them:

'19 = (-0.2 / ?)
'18 = (0.3 / 0.4) +0.1
'17 = (2.07 / 3.38) +1.31
'16 = (-0.763 / -0.4) +0.363
'15 = (2.0 / 0.725) -1.275
'14 = (1.8 / 2.475) +0.675

• Like 1

I would love to see these folks change the color on the wall props.  When the CG, especially the rifles, are on the props, or in front of them, it is hard to see them.  I think Black might be good, in which case i would give the drummers white tap shoes.  Just my opinion. And i love the show, regardless.

• Like 5

I also have an idea for the end of the show, but if i share it, and i am right, it will spoil the surprise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the show, and seen comments about call-backs to previous shows, but the only thing I have heard is the trombone bit from Metamorph

Is there a list of something of other call-backs?

10 minutes ago, gjramsey said:

I love the show, and seen comments about call-backs to previous shows, but the only thing I have heard is the trombone bit from Metamorph

Is there a list of something of other call-backs?

I believe the trumpet thing right before it is a callback to the end of When a Man Loves a Woman in '92.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 12:40 PM, DWW11 said:

I would love to see these folks change the color on the wall props.  When the CG, especially the rifles, are on the props, or in front of them, it is hard to see them.  I think Black might be good, in which case i would give the drummers white tap shoes.  Just my opinion. And i love the show, regardless.

I don't think black would work because of the black pants on the corps, and they are on them later in the show a lot, but I agree there needs to be more contrast between the walls and the guard. Even a stronger choice of silk colors would help, as the silks are mostly light or with prominent light areas, or contain similar colors to the walls. 

This tends to be Chandler's achilles's heel. Something similar happened in 2016 where the guard went to all that trouble to spin flags with their hands stuck through the props, but the busy silks on top of the busy prop covers made it all hard to see.

One thing Bluecoats have been flawless on the past few years is color design. Their choices are ON POINT. Great contrasts/impacts/mood.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, Chief Guns said:

I have said this before and i will say it again.........BD and Bloo need to start a symposium on Swag. No one has swag like they do. I sure as heck would be in the front row at that symposium with a pen and pad taking notes. Lord knows i need some swag in my life lol.  

It’s confidence.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

$10 says a grown up Clara reappears to turn off the Ghostlight on an empty stage at finals.  

I don’t think it will be Clara  

• Haha 3