Blue Devils 2019

Blue Devils 2019 - Description

12 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

"BD is just as talented, but their style is about softness, elegance, making it fluid, making it look incredibly easy".

A perfect description of Blue Devils.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Looks like BD is taking it on the chin in music analysis. Is there anything they can do to fix this, and is there something specifically in the show causing the 4th place finish? Or is it pretty much a done deal regarding that caption?Ā 

Also i noticed that Bloo is outperforming their book in alot of subcaptions. Does that mean the judges are telling Bloo the show is too easy right now, like playing a video game on easy level, and dominating? Can that catch up with Bloo in two weeks?Ā 

From the recap the total difference in All 11 Rep subcaptions between Bloo and BD is +.25 for BD.Ā 

Sure, Bluecoats are playing this game on easy...

Ā 

19 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Sure, Bluecoats are playing this game on easy...

Ā 

In no way was I implying that. But ok. Thanks for your reply. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

In no way was I implying that. But ok. Thanks for your reply. Have a nice day.

"Does that mean the judges are telling Bloo the show is too easy right now, like playing a video game on easy level, and dominating? Can that catch up with Bloo in two weeks? "

You raised the question.

You implied that, by literally implying that.

Why bring it up and say that if you weren't?

We all know you're a BD Homer.

Ā 
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

"Does that mean the judges are telling Bloo the show is too easy right now, like playing a video game on easy level, and dominating? Can that catch up with Bloo in two weeks? "

You raised the question.

Ā 

He asked a question and wanted to know if he was interpreting the information correctly. IĀ read no implication in his question. If he isĀ right, so be it. If he isĀ wrong, so be it. Ā But he obviously is not going to get the answer from you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

You raised the question.

Ā 

Chief has been nothing but cordial this year supporting all the corps including his beloved Devils. Ā Itā€™s all good. Ā 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys I appreciate everyone having my back and support. In no way was I implying Bloo had a easy show as i would never disrespect the performers that sacrifice their summers for people like me. Bloo consistently puts out a show every year that's in my top five. Maybe I worded it wrong. I will take that hit. Yea I am a BD homer, but I am fan of all corps as well.Ā 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Thanks guys I appreciate everyone having my back and support. In no way was I implying Bloo had a easy show as i would never disrespect the performers that sacrifice their summers for people like me. Bloo consistently puts out a show every year that's in my top five. Maybe I worded it wrong. I will take that hit. Yea I am a BD homer, but I am fan of all corps as well.Ā 

WellĀ  said for all of us.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Despite the misinterpretation by some, you raised valid questions that I have been wondering about as well.

Bluecoats' achievement HAS been outscoring their content with some frequencyĀ in a few captions, at least since Texas, and that is a bit unusual a few weeks out, so what are the judges saying?

I never understand the Analysis captions, in either visual or music (and frankly didn't even when I was teaching). They always seem to be "a little bit of this and maybe some of that," So since MA has been a consistent anchor on BD's scores, what is that targeting? They don't like the music? They think the performance of brass and drums both is not cutting it? The individual brass scores have been up and down, but the drums are consistently good, so how does that factor into Analysis? I'm lost on what they are looking toĀ be improved/edited.Ā 

It seems like Finals Week will be the Wild West with the kingmakers being the 3rd-5th placing corps. Everything depends on how many fractions of a point in blood they siphon off from the top 2 in various areas, with the one least damaged by the vampires getting the prize.

• Like 3

Music Analysis is largely concerned with balance between all the musical elements, the clarity of orchestration, and ensemble cohesion.

If I had to guess, based on when I saw them liveĀ about a week or so ago, BD's musical through-line is occasionally muddied by some balance issues in the amplification. (I'm not anti-amp, but Music Analysis is where you see questionable amp settings hurt you). There's a few moments where it overwhelms, and the orchestration becomes more confused than intended.

This is an easy fix, and BD will fix it. Because they're BD (and I am the furthest thing from a BD stan).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1