Blue Devils 2019

11 minutes ago, geluf said:

Music Analysis is largely concerned with balance between all the musical elements, the clarity of orchestration, and ensemble cohesion.

If I had to guess, based on when I saw them live about a week or so ago, BD's musical through-line is occasionally muddied by some balance issues in the amplification. (I'm not anti-amp, but Music Analysis is where you see questionable amp settings hurt you). There's a few moments where it overwhelms, and the orchestration becomes more confused than intended.

This is an easy fix, and BD will fix it. Because they're BD (and I am the furthest thing from a BD stan).

Appreciate this post by you and the previous post from NakedEye. So if i am reading this correctly, it's not so much about the performers, but the "thunderous goo" as it's called here on DCP that's hurting BD in MA.

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Appreciate this post by you and the previous post from NakedEye. So if i am reading this correctly, it's not so much about the performers, but the "thunderous goo" as it's called here on DCP that's hurting BD in MA.

It's just a guess, mind you, but I do judge that caption (or the equivalent) at the high school level and the spread is so small there that it could definitely be that.

It might not put them in 1st in the caption, but any improvement helps the bottom line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats BD!! Be ready tomorrow night! Those phenomenal men and women of Canton are coming for you in Ohio tomorrow night!

• Like 4

Late to the party but still arrived. Had family funeral so i missed the Live stream. Congrats BD and Blue Coats. I cant congratulate only one.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, geluf said:

It's just a guess, mind you, but I do judge that caption (or the equivalent) at the high school level and the spread is so small there that it could definitely be that.

It might not put them in 1st in the caption, but any improvement helps the bottom line.

If I had to guess, it's not just the goo but also just all the unique orchestration they have mic'd up. They put a violin in the spotlight for almost the entire show and balancing that kind of instrument with an entirely different sound and timbre with the brass is challenging. Then there's also the electric guitar. 

IF the issue is mainly balance, then I agree that this is something BD can and will fix 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If I had to guess, it's not just the goo but also just all the unique orchestration they have mic'd up. They put a violin in the spotlight for almost the entire show and balancing that kind of instrument with an entirely different sound and timbre with the brass is challenging. Then there's also the electric guitar. 

IF the issue is mainly balance, then I agree that this is something BD can and will fix 

Of course it will be fixed. It’s an easy fix. And it will be optimized for LOS.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It's really a challenging show to master, i'd go as far as to say its one of the most challenging show this year. Some call it demand but i rather use the word challenging for this show. I take a closer look and i started to look so much closer at the MM. the amount of demand this puts on them to be consistent with this show. They are pushed and i could literally feel the MM Energy, how much it is taking out of them. I have a new respect for BD MMs. I am happy it is a show they enjoy performing.

• Like 5