Blue Devils 2019

18 minutes ago, Dr.Mickey said:

Quick question for those in the know:  What happened to Blue Devils B (and Vanguard Cadets, too)? I’m so used to seeing their scores from Open Class finals that I was surprised by their absence. Thanks!

They both made the decision to not travel east this year and ended their tours early in California. Financial considerations. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rylan said:

Oh my God that chord at the end the shoe-tapping section had me nearly in tears it was so beautifully balanced. Vintage BD sound. 

I really really like the voiceover at the end, it fits in a lot better than the dissonant violin. The closer in general has a lot more clarity both visually and musically, I just hope they have another surprise for us in store for Prelims

• Like 3

I think I only have two complaints about the show right now, and they're both (to a certain extent) ones I recurringly have with BD.

1) The three soloists at the end just seem out of place--like they didn't trust the ensemble (which is absolutely kicking butt at the end) to carry them. It won't happen, but I would've loved to have those solos scrubbed so we could focus our aural attention on the ensemble there (which sounds wonderful).

I had the same issue with the changes at the end of 2011 (adding in the sung "and a house is not a home" and the trumpet soloist on top of the closing tag, when those detracted from the awesome stuff the ensemble was doing). Might just be a personal taste thing. Or mic'ing making it more intrusive than it would have been in the past--I have the same issue with the screamers at the end of Cadets' ballad this year (though that's the least of their problems right now).

2) A rush to get to where they want to go rather than taking the time to develop something more. I'd like maybe four more bars of build in the tempo-feel increases in the tap section--just a little bit more space to ramp up, rather than abruptly double-time and before you can adjust to that we're double-timed again. It makes sense from time constraints, but it's a bit annoying.

I had a similar issue with the lack of time to build into the rock-out in the closer in 2017, hence calling it "recurring." But the build into the rock-out in Circus this year is absolutely excellent; flows much better.

It's a terrific show, and I look forward to seeing what (if any) additional changes they make to it.

Edited by ftwdrummer

Would love to see BD win #19!  I enjoy this show. I was specifically impressed with the pacing.  The entire show I feel engaged, the performers seem to be having so much fun.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, c mor said:

Would love to see BD win #19!  I enjoy this show. I was specifically impressed with the pacing.  The entire show I feel engaged, the performers seem to be having so much fun.

THIS. As great as metamorph was, the pacing of that show was just way too slow for the first 60% of the show imo. 

Meanwhile this show just flows so well you don't even realize 12 minutes has passed 

• Like 5

Not everyone may feel this way but I wish that DCI Finals were on the West Coast. I'm seeing in other threads where people think that cheering for a certain corps the most translates to it being the "fan favorite" show when really it has mostly to do with geography. It frustrates me. I'd love to be able to show BD, SCV, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and (to a certain extent) BK, the love that they deserve during finals. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rylan said:

Not everyone may feel this way but I wish that DCI Finals were on the West Coast. I'm seeing in other threads where people think that cheering for a certain corps the most translates to it being the "fan favorite" show when really it has mostly to do with geography. It frustrates me. I'd love to be able to show BD, SCV, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and (to a certain extent) BK, the love that they deserve during finals. 

I'm an east coaster but I'd love to see finals be held on the west coast 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I would be fine seeing finals on the West Coast.  It can't cost me more $$ than i am spending to go to Indy!  In fact, i have spent MUCH less on air fare flying to visit my daughter in CA than i had to spend to fly from Philly to Indy tomorrow!

SO, how do we BD fans in Indy this week make enough noise to try and counterbalance the Bloos?  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rylan said:

One issue is a suitable venue.

DCI doesn't want to take a chance on weather,interfering with any of the shows.

I don't know if there's a dome on the west coast that could be used.