Blue Devils 2019

Now they just have to win the next 81 championships in order to maintain the numerical correlation. We'll worry about the 22nd century when we get there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Having followed the Blue Devils closely since 1985, as well as working as a volunteer carpenter on their practice field in 1985 and 1986 (I'm in their camp), the video of the lead mellophone's victory run (page 100) was interesting, in that he played a total of only 3:45 minutes of the 11:30 minute show. I realize the mellophones can't play all the time, with percussion, pit, and other brass being featured, but I yearn for more playing and less movement without playing.

Seems like the brass played more in the old days. I wish that were true today.

The total time the Blue Devils brass line played, including soloists, was about 6:20 minutes. Crown and SCV brass each played for about 8:30 minutes during their shows. I guess that's why I enjoyed their shows more this year. Give me more brass, Blue Devils!

Edited by longtimedrumcorpsfan
  • Confused 1

Congratulations to the Blue Devils! Can’t wait to see what you all present next year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, longtimedrumcorpsfan said:

Having followed the Blue Devils closely since 1985, as well as working as a volunteer carpenter on their practice field in 1985 and 1986 (I'm in their camp), the video of the lead mellophone's victory run (page 100) was interesting, in that he played a total of only 3:45 minutes of the 11:30 minute show. Seems like the brass played more in the old days. I wish that were true today.

I realize the mellophones can't play all the time, with percussion, pit, and other brass being featured, but I yearn for more playing and less movement without playing. I don't know the total time the Blue Devil brass line played. Maybe 5 minutes? Crown and SCV brass each played for about 8:30 minutes during their shows. I guess that's why I enjoyed their shows more this year. Give me more brass, Blue Devils!

Hmm. Not intending to criticize your comment, but it gave me an opportunity to voice something I was just thinking about...Part of me wonders if we'd have a different perspective on these if Bill Cook's money had gotten us GoPro vids for Star '91. Or if we'd had the tech already for Cavies '02. Or whatever we collectively decide what the run-and-gun-iest of the Cadets run-and-gun shows (I'm partial to 2000 or 2005, others may want '93 or '87).

I was a pit guy and never marched DCI, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of what it's like on the field. But it seems like comparing a first-person video to third-person videos of the past is an apples-to-oranges comparison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to take a moment and post this here. I posted the following on the Finals thread, but wanted share here as well.

Big congratulations to the Concord Blue Devils on their Gold Medal and World Championship. They continue to lead the drum corps activity into the future and are a truly deserving champion. I was in love with their show from day 1, even when it was really rough and not fully finished. Ghostlight was a monster production and so creative. It is filled with highlight after highlight. Every section seems to shine. Now that's how you feature a violin player within a show of this nature. Loved it!

Nobody cleans feet or body quite like BD, and that coupled with a killer percussion performance on Finals night was likely the minuscule difference that helped them inch over the amazing Bluecoats. In the end, it comes down to who has the best show on Finals night, and BD has a long track record of performing when it matters. Bloo did, too. So this was a sweet win for BD. To beat a corps like Bluecoats, with that amazing show of theirs, is a tough task.  None of us should be surprised. Most people knew this could go either way. The two corps were trading victories down the stretch. It was a fantastic race to the finish. I get that some Bluecoats fans are sad today. I am definitely sad. I wanted Bloo to win badly. I was rooting for my hometown corps like crazy, but at the end of the day the Blue Devils deserved this title, just like Bloo would have had a few tenths gone their way. When the scoring is this close you simply can't get too upset when the judges call it the way they see it on Finals night. That's what they are supposed to do. Great show, BD! I will be watching this one as much as 2015 and 2017. 

• Like 6

A hearty congratulations Blue Devils, 2019 World Champions. You continue to make it all look amazing and classy. Have a great off season ...would love to see you w/ BAC at Tanglewood again...those connections are special.  Enjoy your victory.

Edited by CorpwithanS
Typo
  • Like 3

The Blue Devils Post 2019 Victory Run

The Blue Devils just posted their 2019 Victory Run 15 minutes ago - for your enjoyment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1