Blue Devils 2019

It's hard to reach any real conclusion from rough videos shot on a camera phone at a relatively low angle with the corps not performing in uniform.  It looks like a mess frankly in the videos, but I expect most all of the corps would look like a mess filmed this early and at a relatively poor angle, not in uniform, etc.  The show does look really interesting.  Music sounds interesting.  Horn line - particularly the trumpets - sound good.  The drum line sounds good as always.  And yep they seem to be pulling all the stops out on the guard.  So we'll see.  I hope that they do use the entire field.  This looked a bit like last years SCV show which had very limited field coverage, but the clips I saw did not show the entire production.

I don't agree with the statement above that BD is always a bare bones show and a mess at the start of the season.  In fact I would argue that their legacy is exactly the opposite.  They usually start the season cleaner than any other corps and they always start with a complete show (many others don't have a complete show at first) though they do layer and layer and layer on that show throughout the season.

Looking forward to seeing the full production in uniform next week.  I expect it to be quite a treat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

From what I saw the corps is bloodthirsty this year. Every section.

That's always the case after the lose they previous year.

NO corps is more dangerous when they're ###### off than BD.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, bayareafan said:

It's hard to reach any real conclusion from rough videos shot on a camera phone at a relatively low angle with the corps not performing in uniform.  It looks like a mess frankly in the videos, but I expect most all of the corps would look like a mess filmed this early and at a relatively poor angle, not in uniform, etc.  The show does look really interesting.  Music sounds interesting.  Horn line - particularly the trumpets - sound good.  The drum line sounds good as always.  And yep they seem to be pulling all the stops out on the guard.  So we'll see.  I hope that they do use the entire field.  This looked a bit like last years SCV show which had very limited field coverage, but the clips I saw did not show the entire production.

I don't agree with the statement above that BD is always a bare bones show and a mess at the start of the season.  In fact I would argue that their legacy is exactly the opposite.  They usually start the season cleaner than any other corps and they always start with a complete show (many others don't have a complete show at first) though they do layer and layer and layer on that show throughout the season.

Looking forward to seeing the full production in uniform next week.  I expect it to be quite a treat.

I'll just say, I always feel like I'm watching a different corps come the Clovis and Stanford shows, compared to what I see at family day (which, in most years, is usually a rough sketch).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

My goodness BD! Love what i am seeing and hearing so far. #19 in 2019! Do it up Devils!!

Perhaps going forward, after every season ends, we can always derive their number of wins by subtracting 2000 from the year.  

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I hated Ink til finals week.

I believe they don't win without Clara that year. She brought that whole show together in the end. 

I wonder if she is still with the BD organization. BDB perhaps since she is now what 14-15 years old?

6 hours ago, bayareafan said:

They usually start the season cleaner than any other corps and they always start with a complete show (many others don't have a complete show at first) though they do layer and layer and layer on that show throughout the season.

This feels like a little bit of a contradiction. If they program the show to add layers later, then they aren’t starting with a complete show ... they’re starting with bare bones, in anticipation of those later layers. That’s all I meant.  

But also yes they do actually start with incomplete shows. Usually at this point in the year, even in early comps, there’s no ending, guard work is incomplete and they’re standing around a lot, props are incomplete, entire segments of drill are missing. They 100% do not start the season with a show as complete or clean as what other corps are doing. I really can’t think of a recent time that this has been true, except Felliniesque, which bodes well for their show this year. :bluedevil: They’re a little ahead of the curve this season. MMs are saying as much in the preseason tour videos that have been posted so far. V exciting. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Thanks 3

Not a fan of the Britney but man oh man this show is going to win it this year 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Lance Posted 6-16-19 regarding the age of members in Blue Devils

I attended the show and part of opening remarks from the president of the Booster club was; they acknowledged 52 age outs in the A corps this year and 1 in the B Corps so BD will have an experienced line for 2019 and will be at the top of their game..

Today is Monday 6-17-19 and they are on the road heading to Clovis where they will rehearse the remainder of the week till show date Friday.

It's also notable to note this additional info:

Regarding instrumentation, BD is using 2 synthesizers in the pit. I suspect 1 is for piano/organ parts for the music and other is for FX sounds. They also have a violin in the and an electric guitar as well, plus a giant bass drum, gong and tympani's in the pit. We all knew that Shaun Gallant came over from SCV. He and David Gibbs were up front at the start of the show. While Gibbs is the current CEO of the BDPA organization, he announced that Gallant will be taking over the duties of CEO and GIbbs will be in advisory status, I guess that Gibbs is kind of retiring. This has bee 34 years for him. Scott Johnson was not at this event. First time in 14 years. He is in Japan doing something for the Blue Devils.

C Corps, B Corps & A Corps all sporting new uniforms but A did not uniforms or flag silks for this show. They're either waiting for show reveal at Clovis or still getting thing ready.

President of Boosters also announced to parents (stands were full) that all of the instruments on the field are by System Blue which BD owns and they made a pitch to Band people in the stands to talk to BD to buy instruments. BD showed showed off new food truck and it is beautiful. BDPA president said the cost was over $150,000. We got to tour at end of show. It has double ovens inside, grill, freezer, refrigerator, cold table, grill, pantry storage and has (guessing) a 72" or larger flat screen on the back rear side which can play vids of their show as well as a schedule for the day. (No More White Boards) WOW!

The show was great in person but watching the videos on youtube I can see things I missed. Their props and the show is not complete but it should be ready by Clovis. The props currently look like bare plywood so they will probably be painted or covered with tarps. The props move up and down on a hinges and double as the wall in the beginning of the show then collapse to serve as stages for the guard and corps. The show begins with the pit playing a harpsichord sounding piece which I could not identify till I got home; it's Hans Zimmer's intro to "The Game Of Shadow's Theme, the doors in the wall burst open the and the lower range horns hit you with the beginning number. Love it!..... In the beginning during the warm up, the guard was behind the wall throwing 7's. It kind of looked like fireworks going off over the top of the wall. There is a part about midway through the show where the stages are set up midfield in a semicircle and the entire soprano line as pairs of shoes which they lean over the stages to do a soft shoe tap dance. Also the entire 16 mellophones also carry trumpets on the field to use in a number. Missed when that happens. Only downside to the show that I could see was the ending and that may be due to it is not done. BD played a fanfare and some chords and the show just ended. Kind of left everyone with the feeling of what to do next, applause, cheer, or what? Some great effects to be sure but the show is typical BD stuff. By end of week, they'll score mid 70's with SCV and every show following will be 2 points better than the last show til finals when BD and SCV will be in the high 90's. That's what BD does.

Cavaliers are rehearsing in Salt Lake City today and Fernley, NV Tuesday to arrive in Clovis Thursday. I have not seen SCV yet but these two corps will be in the top 3 spots I'm sure. For some reason, I'm thinking we might even see a tie somewhere in the top 6 spots and Boston which I only know from hype might be 4th.

Have to talk about their merchandising store at the show. BD is so creative. They use 2 tents like you see at a flea market only with Blue tops and BD logo. Walls are wire tri fold sections with tarps with images to provide protection from the elements and closure. Inside are mini, mini hi intensity lighting, a manikin stands at front bathed in soft blue light and multiple clothing items are on display to view and choose from with a register at each corner exit. It gives you the feeling of shopping in a high end clothing store. They are so good at what they do but, they have been doing it for 62 years.

Show lineup

CORPS SHOWDAY: MidCal Championship
Friday, Jun 21, 2019
Lamonica Stadium, 1055 Fowler Ave, Clovis, CA 93611

CORPS SHOWDAY: DCI West
Saturday, Jun 22, 2019
Stanford Stadium, 625 Nelson Rd, Stanford, CA 94305

CORPS SHOWDAY: Moonlight Classic
Sunday, Jun 23, 2019
Hughes Stadium, 3835 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95822

for remainder of the week:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Addition to show not mentioned in previous post.

One BD marching member is attending a university, majoring in music and studying sousaphone. He marched with a chromed sousaphone like you would see in a concert band.

One cannot imagine what BD "Space Chords" sounds like with 160+ brass. Pretty awesome.

• Like 3

Actually I do not really care about A corps. I am looking forward to BDB.  The staff is the best yet.  Efren is an amazing guy and the rest of the staff get along very well. Watch out for them in 2020.