Blue Devils 2019

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sold on everything through the ballad. Everything after the ballad seems like a total mess right now, both musically and visually

The Britney section is a transition trainwreck and I hope they can make that work, as the lead-ins and lead-outs of synth stuff tripped them up last year as well.

I only watched the video while running out of the house this morning and that opener has still been stuck in my head all day.

The props work really well and provide so many options and I love how they always start out looking like "Blue Devils" before losing the coats and shakos for whatever may lie underneath. The loss of any hint of recognizable visual identity from so many the past few years has really disappointed me, and I like how they continue to ground themselves in their history before taking flight.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

They've adapted to what the judges are rewarding right now which is TOSS TOSS TOSS TOSS TOSS TOSS TOSS    Also...TOSS

Which they haven't done as much as other guards in recent years.  The hair flip has run its course.  I feel the guard scores might be watched this year more often than brass/percussion.  Come finals there might only be 3-4 tenths between the top 3/4 guards.  This isn't much so GE/Visuals will probably be the big dog again.

58 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Which they haven't done as much as other guards in recent years.  The hair flip has run its course.  I feel the guard scores might be watched this year more often than brass/percussion.  Come finals there might only be 3-4 tenths between the top 3/4 guards.  This isn't much so GE/Visuals will probably be the big dog again.

FYI — though they have not won high guard for the last 3 years, BDCG got the highest finals night scores for two of those years (2016, 2017) as well as the highest content scores (ie, best “hair flips”) on both nights. In 2018, they got second. 

So, the numbers don’t really bear out your point, and “hair flips” is a crummy way to sum up the incredibly varied, high quality things this guard does year in and out. I’m glad the judges are wise enough to know better. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I saw Crown last night on video.  wow.  Sounds to me like BD and Crown are taking styles from each other.  

True. I saw a BD style in the CC show.. Not sure i notice BD with CC style but i'll look again.

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

The Britney section is a transition trainwreck and I hope they can make that work, as the lead-ins and lead-outs of synth stuff tripped them up last year as well.

I only watched the video while running out of the house this morning and that opener has still been stuck in my head all day.

The props work really well and provide so many options and I love how they always start out looking like "Blue Devils" before losing the coats and shakos for whatever may lie underneath. The loss of any hint of recognizable visual identity from so many the past few years has really disappointed me, and I like how they continue to ground themselves in their history before taking flight.

It made me physically cringe at family day. I know it'll improve over the season, but I'd be even happier if they figured that out before I see them again (tomorrow) 😆

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Which they haven't done as much as other guards in recent years.  The hair flip has run its course.

You mean they haven't overdone it as much as other guards in recent years. Their writing has consistently been the most musical and expressive, with toss accents in appropriate spots, but the currTOSSent trend thTOSSat the judTOSSTOSSges haTOSSve been wowTOSSed by is TOSSing every thTOSsird couTOSSnt.

So the game has shifted and they will play it by the new rules. They had the highest tossing weapons for years and now the pack has followed that example and taken it to excess, so BD will bring it and rain a hail of tosses upon ye olde gray head.

I love the hair flips. I have no hair, so at least I can live vicariously through them. :w00t:

• Like 5

Just saw the better recording and sadly, not a fan. Very all over the place and it really doesn't sound good. Bummer as I am bringing new people to see a show. Haven't been a fan of their sound since Felliniesque. Sighs...always next year. I am now rooting for the Cavies to beat them at the show and have SVC take the gold. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Love how everyone who tries to discount BD's incredible guard uses the term "hair flips"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dream Theater said:

Just saw the better recording and sadly, not a fan. Very all over the place and it really doesn't sound good. Bummer as I am bringing new people to see a show. Haven't been a fan of their sound since Felliniesque. Sighs...always next year. I am now rooting for the Cavies to beat them at the show and have SVC take the gold. 

The BD sound has only gotten more refined and perfected over the years since felliniesque. Their sound is exquisite, balanced, and instantly recognizable. Their chords with the low brass sound like soft butter, I don't know how else to describe it, it's incredible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2