Blue Devils 2019

20 minutes ago, Lance said:

yeah, my stopwatch comment didn't come out of nowhwere.

there was a clique of people on here back in the early 2000s when the cavies were dominating who flooded the board with timings of simultaneous playing by sections...oftentimes broken down into moving vs not moving, and the percentage of players perceived to be playing the "hard parts" vs those who got cut. 

i wasn't even a cavies fan, but the "they only played for 30 seconds blah blah blah" stuff was super obnoxious. 

if you don't like it, great. no need to reduce what performers are doing to what your fingers, toes, or stopwatches tell you. 

Also worth reiterating a-GAIN that the show isn’t finished! So it’s not even stopwatch season yet. I can see pretty clear places where the standstills aren’t park and bark but are rather “TBD!” So let’s all just relax. 

• Like 2

New video up ... already liking some of the changes. Already feeling that BD energy. I’m feeling very good about this show. This season, really! 

Alright. I'm not gushing like I did over Bloo/Cavies/Crown, but I absolutely see the potential in this show. The bones are good, and I can't wait to see how it's filled in. The Circus section full ensemble entrance gave me chills. The "True Passion" ballad has the potential makings of a 2016-type barnburner/tearjerker. I trust the process. 

I do encourage all other posters to not make a fool of themselves by lamenting a lack of demand or anything of that ilk. I always pass along the warning now after being properly eviscerated a few years ago. It behooves us non-BDers to remember that they don't put out a complete show and then rewrite and tweak; their process is to have the big moments in place for the beginning of the season and to fill in the rest of the visual design as the season progresses. Much of their drill isn't even written at this point. Respect & acknowledge their process, or be forced to eat crow by the season's end.

• Like 3

This is a wait and see show for me. I’ll me Stanford but after viewing a YouTube and good quality btw I’m not yet sold. BD usually comes out swinging but I feel like it’s gonna be a build up show maybe like 2011. BD staff knows their stuff but right now it’s a ruff sketch.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

BTW Cavaliers surprised everyone. 

Well, not anyone that listens to me, if that matters.  Obviously, it didn't!

Looking forward to seeing all the corps tonight in a better venue even if it is online.

• Like 1

After only seeing the two on YT, I feel like BD is loose batter at the moment where SCV is much more baked already. There seem like a lot of WOW moments waiting to happen with the use of the doors/slants/platforms that will get people screaming by the end of the season. It's just fun, and the ballad will already get to people.

SCV is almost doing a Bluecoats 2017, with a theme (dystopian urban) that is pretty stylistically similar to the prior year, even though it is its own animal (and I like this one better).

The keys to repeating in recent times has been keeping the quality, but shifting conceptually somewhat - 1930 to Through a Glass, Fellini to Ink - definite different moods, so the second one seems fresher. 

So basically I have no idea what is going to happen, but I think the predictions of certainty that are flying around are off-base. Also Bluecoats and Cavaliers have really unique and interesting products, and Crown and Boston are high quality, with more traditional shows. 

Right now it is about growth potential and bringing something different to the table.

• Like 2

Think the thing that’s being understated so far is how FUN this show is. The most outright fun, crowd-pleasing show from them that I can think of since ... When, honestly? The opener, after the trumpet feature, is so friggin catchy.

This is probably why I don’t mind the Britney? It’s a catchy pop song ... nod along and don’t overthink it, is the way to go, I think. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NakedEye said:

After only seeing the two on YT, I feel like BD is loose batter at the moment where SCV is much more baked already. There seem like a lot of WOW moments waiting to happen with the use of the doors/slants/platforms that will get people screaming by the end of the season. It's just fun, and the ballad will already get to people.

SCV is almost doing a Bluecoats 2017, with a theme (dystopian urban) that is pretty stylistically similar to the prior year, even though it is its own animal (and I like this one better).

The keys to repeating in recent times has been keeping the quality, but shifting conceptually somewhat - 1930 to Through a Glass, Fellini to Ink - definite different moods, so the second one seems fresher. 

So basically I have no idea what is going to happen, but I think the predictions of certainty that are flying around are off-base. Also Bluecoats and Cavaliers have really unique and interesting products, and Crown and Boston are high quality, with more traditional shows. 

Right now it is about growth potential and bringing something different to the table.

I’m not feeling the ballad this year. Just me. 

• Like 1