Blue Devils 2019

8 hours ago, Jim Alberty said:

Woof - I've carried one of our kids off the field to the sideline after a rifle strike ... never a pretty sight (she recovered as did her unitard) .... even happier with the final result now ....

This sort of thing is actually becoming a bit of a big deal with all the tosses everyone is throwing these days. A friend's daughter, multi-year Crown vet, just had to drop out after suffering her FIFTH concussion and recovering more slowly from this one. Obviously she is heartbroken after so much work to get there. She also said all the guards are dealing with similar problems. 

With the new emphasis on health and safety, maybe some sort of unobtrusive helmet for use in practice is not as ridiculous as it might seem. Back in the day, we didn't throw the things as high as they do now, and with outdoor practice conditions always changing, there is a real element  of risk involved. 

In other news, I just returned from a week in SoCal, but kept missing the corps because they were always in a place I had just been. Excited BD came out on top last night ( but not surprised). I think it will be between them and Bluecoats - most creative and engaging shows. 

• Like 2

Gotta be honest ... I’m already missing the original closer drill from a week ago. You can’t gimme high-speed block rotations and evolving curvilinear forms and take them away so soon! I think it fit the music better, too, and it honestly looked like they’d be able to clean it. Curious to see how this shapes up over the season. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Gotta be honest ... I’m already missing the original closer drill from a week ago. You can’t gimme high-speed block rotations and evolving curvilinear forms and take them away so soon! I think it fit the music better, too, and it honestly looked like they’d be able to clean it. Curious to see how this shapes up over the season. 

It's not a BD show without expanding and collapsing rotating boxes. It's easily the hardest drill move performed every year and I don't think people give this corps enough credit for it 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's not a BD show without expanding and collapsing rotating boxes. It's easily the hardest drill move performed every year and I don't think people give this corps enough credit for it 

absolutely my friend, and this year’s version was especially gorgeous and complex, I thought. And quite musical! I hope they bring it back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Let me remind you that "The Sustain" from SCV's mellos last year was removed after Stanford, but was put back in closer to finals.

BD could easily do the same.

• Like 2

Two small details that I just noticed and really love:

1) The wall of props inching forward during the bari feature in the opener

2) The drumline during the big Britney hit. They squeeze into a pod and suddenly start charging stage left with their heads cocked towards the sideline.  So much attitude!! 

• Like 5

Loving how this corps has been so low key and out of the way this year. They're going to make some heads turn once they hit the east 

• Like 6

Saw a clip of last performance, and they look really really strong. The show is coming together so well, it's flowing even better. Guards!!!!!!! Need i say more. They have improved a lot and are so impressive.

• Like 4