Blue Devils 2019

The unusual seasons of Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets

Drum Corps International Posted this video on Youtube 21 hours ago. As I suspected both "B" corps' tours were cut short according to joint BOD decisions to cut costs.
It’s been an unusual season for a couple of Open Class powerhouses. Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets have both stayed in California

and their seasons are already over. You might think the members and staff would be disappointed by that, but you’d be wrong. Dan

Potter talks with directors Efrain Hinojosa of Blue Devils B and Rob Shetland of Vanguard Cadets in the afterglow of their

California-centric 2019 tours.

No Clara sightings yet!  Didn’t notice any changes to the ending except some flourishes here and there. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to humbly request that those in the know don’t COMPLETELY spoil the ending in this thread (if there is indeed a new ending) for those of us who would like a little mystery before the reveal.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

I would like to humbly request that those in the know don’t COMPLETELY spoil the ending in this thread (if there is indeed a new ending) for those of us who would like a little mystery before the reveal.

I don't think any of us know for sure what's in store unless they are attending a rehearsal and there has been a lot of speculation about surprise endings for both BD and Bloo. After last weekend's regional, this is the time that BD will be adding final layers to the show, so maybe we will tonight.

• Like 5

Scott Johnson is back.

Have been reviewing recent fan uploads of BD in the lot on Youtube. I noticed that Scott Johnson is now back with the drumline. He was MIA during the early part of BD's tour as he was in Japan doing something for the Blue Devils. Recent Recaps had BD down in percussion a bit. Since the "Master" is back, I look for BD's percussion scores to go up. We'll see tonight.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Scott Johnson is back.

Have been reviewing recent fan uploads of BD in the lot on Youtube. I noticed that Scott Johnson is now back with the drumline. He was MIA during the early part of BD's tour as he was in Japan doing something for the Blue Devils. Recent Recaps had BD down in percussion a bit. Since the "Master" is back, I look for BD's percussion scores to go up. We'll see tonight.

:thumbup:

One of the neatest guys in drum corps, period. That man has seen it all and then some. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

It was never my intent to spoil an ending!  I wouldn’t want that for anyone. All i planned to do was say yes, look for something new or no, not yet!  

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

:thumbup:

One of the neatest guys in drum corps, period. That man has seen it all and then some. 

One day in 2010, during our time at Mars, I noticed Scott was wearing a double-wrapped Phiten necklace (now sold as the tornado).  Many of us wore or used Phiten products, and the wristbands we wore for the show as a part of our uniform were Phiten.  Since I had never seen a double-wrapped necklace before, I asked him where and how he got it.  His reply makes me laugh to this day!  He looked over and said, "Do you know who the #### I am?"  And then we all laughed and finished tuning before we started drumming.

Scott was always super cool and super chill.  I loved marching under someone who always expressed his belief and confidence in your abilities, and just asked you to do what you were contracted to do.  It was very different than other staff members I had marched under at other organizations.  Many of whom were always pushing you towards success rather than reminding you that you were capable of being successful.  The only other staff members like him have all been taught by him (here I am thinking primarily of Roger Carter and Tim Jackson).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Scott Johnson is back.

I think the other staff is certainly capable.  But it is always nice to have Scott around.

Also, I think their scores have been improving nicely of late.  They have been really clean this summer, and the book sounds great.  The minor changes they have made seem to be helping lock things together.  I hope the judges they see in their remaining shows can get good reads of the battery and front ensemble at the right moments to help maximize their score.

It seems like it is going to come down to very minor things, including the read the judge is able to get, in the race for the Sanford this year.

• Like 3