Blue Devils 2019

Just now, E3D said:

speaking of , I have not noticed any posts from Cappy today. Might be recharging for the later corps. 

He's probably volunteering for a certain corps (?) so their teeth really sparkle for the cameras this week.  Brush, brush, brush, peroxide, rinse, brush some more...cameras, lights,...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, E3D said:

speaking of , I have not noticed any posts from Cappy today. Might be recharging for the later corps. 

Oh I'm alive. On the weekdays I'm too busy with patients to post much on DCP, though I do lurk a bit during down time

• Like 2

Here's hoping someone records BD (and the rest of the top 5) from the stands today. I almost always prefer videos from the stands over Flo's. I actually like reading the crowd reaction - something that Flo doesn't do well. I remember when it was on ESPN how they were able to capture crowd reactions well. 

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rylan said:

Here's hoping someone records BD (and the rest of the top 5) from the stands today. I almost always prefer videos from the stands over Flo's. I actually like reading the crown reaction - something that Flo doesn't do well. I remember when it was on ESPN how they were able to capture crowd reactions well. 

Are you not suggesting that someone break the law?  There are frequent notices that doing such is a violation of copyrights.

34 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

And I love them for it, no pandering to the crowd, the MM's are the main priority. They receive such a wide education in so many different areas of the arts because BD is willing to peek into a huge variety of artistic areas. Some may see that as against the core values of drum corps but in my eyes, the members are priority one and audience number two. 

Just a brief look at all the realms they've explored in the past decade: 

• 2008: they brought a poem by Ferlinghetti to life and represented it through music and visuals
  • 2009: explored the mindset of artists and people during the great depression using the music from that time
  • 2010: they reflect back on Kenton and Graettinger's previously unappreciated work in their "City of glass," educating the members on their works and their influence on the jazz genre
  • 2011: Burt Bacharach. Nuff said
  • 2012: the members learn about an artistic and philosophical movement known as the dada movement and how it has influenced contemporary art today
  • 2013: Rite of Spring. It had been done before but I don't think any corps had gone down to the level of detail that BD did that year. The piece itself was extremely controversial at the time and I think the show accurately reflected that. 
  • 2014: exploring the world of cinema through Fellini and learn about his influence in that sphere
  • 2015: the idea of bringing stories to life on the field. Not super novel or intellectual, but I'll never complain about Goodwin and Sondheim being performed
  • 2016: Members get an in depth look at Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • 2017: what better lesson on the history of the corps than a full show dedicated to it? 
  • 2018: Probably their coolest concept, taking a famous painting and turning it into a story on the field. 
  • 2019: folklore behind the Ghostlight

I mean, does any corps really capture the essence of the arts as a whole to the level of BD? I personally don't think so.

Sidenote, the people who think every BD show is the same are crazy. Just look at all the different expressions of art they've explored through a single medium!

If this doesn't get a minimum of ten likes...........smh. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cmhs59 said:

Blue Devils will win on Saturday evening.

If they don't win number 19 in 2019, how are they ever going to win number 20 in 2020?!?

Nobody Does It Better!

Someone should give you a PhD. I can't argue with that logic! 👍

• Like 3

Good luck tonight BD!  

When I rewatched Bloo's show just now I noticed that in the first half of both their shows BD and Bloo do a few of the same things — full-corps dancing, bari feature, soprano feature, throwbacks to previous years, highly exposed sequential rifle toss. When i realized that and compared the corps mark for mark...  I just don't see how BD isn't the more fun, energetic, charismatic, creative, difficult, seamless show. Even just looking at the props and how they fold into the themes, look, shape of each show... It's no contest for me. And this is coming from someone who thinks Bloo > BD last year, objectively, by some margin, because Bloo was a beast last year, one of the all-time-greatest third place shows we've seen, IMO. I'm hoping BD really brings it this weekend (of course they will) and that the judges get it right, if they do. 

• Like 5