What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

Designate speaker placement zones and have sufficient resources to capture the sound. Live broadcasts are a product. Some sound was spotty during broadcasts, but probably sounded great live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Eliminate Synthesizers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As a side note for those of you proposing changes, next year, the DCI Rules Congress will become an annual event (as opposed to every other year), but only members of the Rules and Systems Task Force (RSTF) are allowed to propose changes in 2019. Proposals from directors/designers outside of the RSTF will be open on even-numbered years.

That being said, here are some changes I'd like to see within the next couple of years:

- Ban tarps, or figure out ways to make the use of tarps less dangerous to the MMs (knowing designers, they'll probably go with the latter).

- Just as there are now two Music Analysis judges at big shows, employ two Visual Analysis judges for those shows, one with a colorguard background and one with a marching/maneuvering background.

- Make the judging sheet as balanced as possible: 25% GE, 25% Analysis (MA & VA), 25% Visual Performance (Vis. Prof. & Guard), and 25% Music Performance (Brass & Percussion). Judges would score out of 50, then each caption's scores would be added together and divided by 4 to get a score out of 25. All four of those total scores would then be added together to get a final score out of 100.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ya, someone needs to get some OSHA people hired before there are some serious lawsuits.  I don't mind progress but lets keep it safe.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Ban the tarps.

Why? They can be used safely and many marching bands have figured out how to do so safely for the performers. Cavaliers surprisingly were never able how to figure out how to do so. Don't ban everyone from use of them because one corps (maybe 2 if you count BS) did a poor job implementing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Why? They can be used safely and many marching bands have figured out how to do so safely for the performers. Cavaliers surprisingly were never able how to figure out how to do so. Don't ban everyone from use of them because one corps (maybe 2 if you count BS) did a poor job implementing. 

You just named the two of three corps that marched over tarps in finals. 

The thing I don't like about them is the marchers really have no control over their environment and are at the mercy of what happens to them. I didn't watch the Cavaliers at finals because I didn't want to watch someone get injured. Hope Bass 1 is ok. 

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

You just named the two of three corps that marched over tarps in finals. 

The thing I don't like about them is the marchers really have no control over their environment and are at the mercy of what happens to them. I didn't watch the Cavaliers at finals because I didn't want to watch someone get injured. Hope Bass 1 is ok. 

And there are ways for the tarps not to be an issue and to lay flat. Using weighted cable on the edges is one way to fix the issue Cavies had same with BS. Also, navigating the tarps and the technique required to do so by the members can be a plus for the VP judge to look at if the members are provided techniques to navigate around them. Maybe Cavies staff didn't do this? I don't know. All I'm saying is don't throw something out because it was implemented poorly by a couple of corps. People have and will get it right.

As far as kids getting hurt. Have you seen what they are doing now? If we outlawed everything where a member could be injured then we would be back to marching 70's style drill again where a corps takes a 16 to 5 and 64 counts to make an arc.

• Haha 2