What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

i think tarp safety is something that should be addressed. there needs to be a limit to its field coverage at this level, in BOA last year O'Fallon HS, IL literally covered the entire field in a tarp and i wondered how safe it could be in the upper levels, especially if it got wet. there needs to be a stopping point somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

i think tarp safety is something that should be addressed. there needs to be a limit to its field coverage at this level, in BOA last year O'Fallon HS, IL literally covered the entire field in a tarp and i wondered how safe it could be in the upper levels, especially if it got wet. there needs to be a stopping point somewhere. 

Marching over tarps is no more dangerous than high velocity, close quarters drill with blind pass throughs. When that happens people throw babies and the chance of serious injury if something goes wrong is VERY high. People want to see more of that and I don't see any calls for that being outlawed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

Marching over tarps is no more dangerous than high velocity, close quarters drill with blind pass throughs. When that happens people throw babies and the chance of serious injury if something goes wrong is VERY high. People want to see more of that and I don't see any calls for that being outlawed.

where did i say outlawed? i said controlled...stopping point as in percentage of field coverage. performer safety comes before everything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

where did i say outlawed? i said controlled...stopping point as in percentage of field coverage. performer safety comes before everything. 

I guess I don't see how controlling it in that way has any impact on performer safety at all.

Honestly I don't know how it would be implemented or if the corps would ever agree to the this but maybe have a 3rd party check in on each corps (perhaps at a regional mid-season when everyone is in the same area) as a way to allow members to voice concerns about any sort of abuse/mistreatment while on tour. 

I know DCI has a way to report these things online and have asked corps admin to provide some sort crash course on sexual harassment to both staff and members, but not everyone will implement this equally and in some cases like Pioneer, the members are specifically told not to report to DCI. Just a thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly I don't know how it would be implemented or if the corps would ever agree to the this but maybe have a 3rd party check in on each corps (perhaps at a regional mid-season when everyone is in the same area) as a way to allow members to voice concerns about any sort of abuse/mistreatment while on tour. 

I know DCI has a way to report these things online and have asked corps admin to provide some sort crash course on sexual harassment to both staff and members, but not everyone will implement this equally and in some cases like Pioneer, the members are specifically told not to report to DCI. Just a thought. 

this is where my idea for a compliance officer comes in...and on tour compliance officer, to mitigate any issues before t hey get out of hand

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

And there are ways for the tarps not to be an issue and to lay flat. Using weighted cable on the edges is one way to fix the issue Cavies had same with BS. Also, navigating the tarps and the technique required to do so by the members can be a plus for the VP judge to look at if the members are provided techniques to navigate around them. Maybe Cavies staff didn't do this? I don't know. All I'm saying is don't throw something out because it was implemented poorly by a couple of corps. People have and will get it right.

As far as kids getting hurt. Have you seen what they are doing now? If we outlawed everything where a member could be injured then we would be back to marching 70's style drill again where a corps takes a 16 to 5 and 64 counts to make an arc.

In the same breath you can say:

It's simple, possible and well known how to make tarps work safely, AND

You have no idea why 2 of the 3 corps in finals that had their performers march on the tarps couldn't make them work safely.

Unless DCI makes you or someone else qualified the tarp czar for enforcing best practices, I suggest we ban them since the corps have proven they can't do them right. But that's not going to happen, because DCI as an organization is not responsible for what the corps do, right? DCI's hands are tied.

Your solution to an obvious situation where performing members are regularly put into situations where no one has control over the physical environment is to say 'they'll get it right eventually' and 'there are risks involved in drum corps?' Sounds like a great plan going forward. Doesn't sound like we could be risking serious injury, maybe with a few lawsuits thrown in.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Unless DCI makes you or someone else qualified the tarp czar for enforcing best practices, I suggest we ban them since the corps have proven they can't do them right. But that's not going to happen, because DCI as an organization is not responsible for what the corps do, right? DCI's hands are tied.

A ban is not going to happen for the same reason amplification, electronics, props and costumes will never be reconsidered.  Follow the money.  The businesses who provide these things are major sponsors of DCI, and they use DCI as a showroom to build lucrative industries supplying these items to the wider marching arts community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A ban is not going to happen for the same reason amplification, electronics, props and costumes will never be reconsidered.  Follow the money.  The businesses who provide these things are major sponsors of DCI, and they use DCI as a showroom to build lucrative industries supplying these items to the wider marching arts community. 

Yup. Sounds about right to me.