What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

1 hour ago, whitedj2002 said:

I like! Both judging the entire ensemble? or 1 on Equipment and 1 on Movement? …  on the field or box? 

I don't know what would be the best solution, but what seemed to swing the most this year were opinions about content. With more than one guard, rankings could go from first, to sixth, back to first again over a series of shows, depending on who was judging. Of course execution can affect content scores, but if the performance wasn't a train wreck, what do you do if someone says your writing is good one night and terrible the next? Two opinions at the major events may help to even out the peaks and valleys a bit, making it easier for staffs to plan necessary corrections/improvements.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

this is where my idea for a compliance officer comes in...and on tour compliance officer, to mitigate any issues before t hey get out of hand

penalties at shows, might motivate corps faster!! 

5 hours ago, Eleran said:

At a minimum, it's about time they separate Percussion into separate judges for Battery and Pit, since it's ridiculous for them to be running back and forth between the two, especially when they have to go all the way around the huge pits of today and avoid all the speakers and mics, etc.  

I know this is highly unlikely, but what if a corps didn't want to have a battery or a pit? (Both things happen in marching bands, even competitive marching bands, although not having a battery is more common than not having a pit.) Would this rule require you to have both, or if you only had one, would that judge's score be doubled?

Or more realistically: would this rule require pits to get even larger than they currently are? Or could you get away with a smaller pit (as I think Bluecoats did this year?) and still be rewarded?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly I don't know how it would be implemented or if the corps would ever agree to the this but maybe have a 3rd party check in on each corps (perhaps at a regional mid-season when everyone is in the same area) as a way to allow members to voice concerns about any sort of abuse/mistreatment while on tour. 

I know DCI has a way to report these things online and have asked corps admin to provide some sort crash course on sexual harassment to both staff and members, but not everyone will implement this equally and in some cases like Pioneer, the members are specifically told not to report to DCI. Just a thought. 

This seems wise.

32 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I don't like tarps because no matter what is printed on them, the glare from the lights makes them largely unreadable in many cases, so a waste of expense and effort ...

So true!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I know this is highly unlikely, but what if a corps didn't want to have a battery or a pit? (Both things happen in marching bands, even competitive marching bands, although not having a battery is more common than not having a pit.) Would this rule require you to have both, or if you only had one, would that judge's score be doubled?

Or more realistically: would this rule require pits to get even larger than they currently are? Or could you get away with a smaller pit (as I think Bluecoats did this year?) and still be rewarded?

Well, what if a corp decided to limit their color guard to two flag-bearers and two rifle-bearers that stood at their side the entire show?

I used to be very opposed to synthesizers--just look at my posts from 2010-2012 especially. I've mellowed on that front, but I do think the G.E. and music analysis judges should be much tougher on synth use, calling it out as the lazy crutch that it is at least 50% of the time.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

Outlaw recorded singing.  Live singing only.

I would go farther and ban all prerecorded sound.

(If a corps really, really, really needs to use a sample, then they take a 0.1 penalty for each second of use. Also they have to do the penalty math for the judges in advance, and if they give an incorrect figure, the penalty goes up by a point.)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Well, what if a corp decided to limit their color guard to two flag-bearers and two rifle-bearers that stood at their side the entire show?

Didn't Cadets for one year in the 1980s have a guard of like six people of something like that?

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why would a drum corps want to be like a marching band?