What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I used to be very opposed to synthesizers--just look at my posts from 2010-2012 especially. I've mellowed on that front, but I do think the G.E. and music analysis judges should be much tougher on synth use, calling it out as the lazy crutch that it is at least 50% of the time.

Calling electronics a "lazy crutch" is far too kind.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

1.  No electronic instruments 

2.  No electronic sound systems

3.  Limit the size and quantity of props to only what can be carried in by the members themselves

Its time for DCI and its corps to be drum and bugle corps again and stop trying to be something they aren't.  The last 5 or so years have really taken their toll on the activity.  BLAST is not drum corp and vice versa, and drum and bugle corps are not marching bands.  As I sat and watched finals it became even more obvious that it is truly an activity of the "haves" and "have nots" (those who can afford high-end premium electronics and props vs. those who can't) and the "have nots" out weigh those that "have."  It wasn't so long ago that a premium instructional staff was one of the greatest expenses next to food and transport.  Brass and percussion instruments can always be used a couple more years, especially with the right instructional staff.  Not today!  The focus today is to be all things to all people.  Drum corps is not for everyone, staff included, that's what made it so unique and intriguing and captured so much attention and following.  It truly caused young people to have to be great in order to be able to be a member, and when they left they were even better.  It was often lead by passionate expert instructors, some of whom you'd never guess we're musicians by their day job, that were specialized in and focused on drum and bugle corps.  It truly was special.  There was so much more done with so less, not long ago, that made it so pure!  Today, it reminds me of a highschool band competition.  I, and every other member, not too long ago, joined drum corps to go beyond marching band and DCI was it.  

If we lose the "have nots" we lose drum and bugle corps.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but I disagree with almost everything you say here. 

Mike

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

Why would a drum corps want to be like a marching band? 

Marching bands were using synthesizers long before drum corps specifically did so (Boston Crusaders excepted), so it would seem that drum corps have long wanted to be like other kinds of marching bands.

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Marching bands were using synthesizers long before drum corps specifically did so (Boston Crusaders excepted), so it would seem that drum corps have long wanted to be like other kinds of marching bands.

You make me laugh.  

19 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but I disagree with almost everything you say here. 

Mike

That's fine.

This is a crazy one....

what if every 5 years DCI set a theme and every corp had to develop a show out of that theme? Would we get a bunch of different shows?

Don't shoot me!!! Just thinking outloud....

Edited by Rileydog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I don't like tarps because no matter what is printed on them, the glare from the lights makes them largely unreadable in many cases, so a waste of expense and effort, but that said:

The smart way to go about regulating them would probably be to set a minimum square footage/dimension area. Smaller tarps seem to be much more of a problem than larger ones, as they are much easier to kick up/dislodge with an errant foot placement than ones with more surface area. The Cavaliers' ones were so skinny that they flipped up easily and were impossible to position the same way twice, so marchers couldn't properly anticipate where they would be on the fly. I'm disappointed in their staff on this one. They were a problem as soon as they were added and I don't remember one show all season where at least one kid didn't have an issue with them. Troopers had some trouble with those small circle ones last year as well, I think?

The tarp issue is a difficult one because while some tarps didn't work well due to tripping, Boston's tarp was utilized amazingly well!  

• Like 2

Institution of a “No Hairflip Rule”. Put that in, and BD never has another shot at High CG.   :ninja:

• Haha 2