What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

Back in the day the pyramid of drum corps were the hundreds of small corps as the base that funneled up to the top elite corps. The b and activity was pretty much a separate type of thing. Of course, even then there were members who crossed over both, but in general drum corps was its own distinct things...all drums and horns.

Today the base of the pyramid are the scholastic bands. The hundreds of small corps have long since died away, with the scholastic bands filling that void. The rise of the corps-style competitive bands, fueled by drum corps people, actually, has been used to replace the small local corps, in far larger numbers than ever existed in the early era. 

I see no reason why guard members, percussionists and brass players are welcome to participate at the DCI level in the summer, but woodwind players are  not. 

Because DCI is not just a "level" in your personal pyramid.  It is a distinct and separate activity (until they decide it is not).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is nothing stopping a woodwind player from picking up a horn or a flag or rifle. 

I'm also willing to bet that there are quite a few who do this.

It doesn't take much to learn to play a trumpet or mellophone if you can already play something else. Fingerings are much easier. Embouchure is the only thing really. 

And the music most corps play isn't all that difficult by itself. Not so difficult that it can't be learned in a month or two. 

The difference in talent level and difficulty in music played only becomes apparent when you get up into the top 3 to 5. Then you might need to have as many members as possible be already competent in double or triple tonguing and already demonstrating a nice tone and ample range.

But aside from that, the music itself in almost every other corps can easily be learned by a talented woodwind marcher.

DCI is a distinct activity from marching band. It's not the top of the marching band world.

We also seem to have a good steady supply of marchers coming in to DCI and that's become apparent with the rising talent level we've seen this season. Madison Scouts provided us with a very, very good 16th place show. 

And with the advent of Soundsport, there really does seem to be ample opportunity for anyone in a marching band to partake in something great. There are plenty of opportunities. Soundsport is one of the best and successful ideas in the activity in a long, long time.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Because DCI is not just a "level" in your personal pyramid.  It is a distinct and separate activity (until they decide it is not).

Drum corps is part of marching/music. It is just not separate and distinct. It never really has been; IMO it is all part of the same large activity. 

9 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

There is nothing stopping a woodwind player from picking up a horn or a flag or rifle. 

I'm also willing to bet that there are quite a few who do this.

It doesn't take much to learn to play a trumpet or mellophone if you can already play something else. Fingerings are much easier. Embouchure is the only thing really. 

And the music most corps play isn't all that difficult by itself. Not so difficult that it can't be learned in a month or two. 

The difference in talent level and difficulty in music played only becomes apparent when you get up into the top 3 to 5. Then you might need to have as many members as possible be already competent in double or triple tonguing and already demonstrating a nice tone and ample range.

But aside from that, the music itself in almost every other corps can easily be learned by a talented woodwind marcher.

DCI is a distinct activity from marching band. It's not the top of the marching band world.

We also seem to have a good steady supply of marchers coming in to DCI and that's become apparent with the rising talent level we've seen this season. Madison Scouts provided us with a very, very good 16th place show. 

And with the advent of Soundsport, there really does seem to be ample opportunity for anyone in a marching band to partake in something great. There are plenty of opportunities. Soundsport is one of the best and successful ideas in the activity in a long, long time.

No reason WW players should have to try and learn another instrument, that in a lot of cases locks them out of making a top corps. To say it doesn't take a lot to learn to play an instrument, at the level needed to make a top corps, is just bogus IMO.

Drum corps is not unique and distinct from marching band, and it never has been. That is drum corps people making artificial attempts to raise themselves above the scholastic world, IMO. 

You are right that the talent level is just so high these days...that is why it is even tougher for WW players to make it into a top corps. And basically, there is no reason they should have to do so in this day and age. Just MHO...obviously DCI and the member corps do not agree with me, which is fine. 

Soundsport is indeed a great activity for those who choose it, and who live in the area where an organization exists. No disagreement there.

• Like 1

You sound as if people have a right and entitlement to march drum corps. 

If a woodwind wants to do DCI, they can learn to do something that will get them into one.

But turning DCI into glorified marching band would ruin the activity. So I have really no idea why anyone would even propose woodwinds to be allowed to march. I certainly wouldn't watch it. 

If someone had enough talent to march a corps, they certainly have enough talent to learn a mellophone. It isn't that difficult when you're learning to play the same 5 minutes of material over and over and over again. 

Turning 80 brass into 40 brass and 40 woodwinds. Lol. I've never even really heard a marching band where I can hear the woodwinds over the brass anyways. 

DCI is unique because of its sound. And its loudness. That's the very essence of what sets drum corps apart from other similar activities. Loud brass. Take that away and it's no longer what it was. 

If you want a competitive marching band activity during the summer, nothing is stopping you and others from "band"ing together and starting Marching Band International.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 3:24 PM, Land_Surfer said:

1.  No electronic instruments 

2.  No electronic sound systems

3.  Limit the size and quantity of props to only what can be carried in by the members themselves

Its time for DCI and its corps to be drum and bugle corps again and stop trying to be something they aren't.  The last 5 or so years have really taken their toll on the activity.  BLAST is not drum corp and vice versa, and drum and bugle corps are not marching bands.  As I sat and watched finals it became even more obvious that it is truly an activity of the "haves" and "have nots" (those who can afford high-end premium electronics and props vs. those who can't) and the "have nots" out weigh those that "have."  It wasn't so long ago that a premium instructional staff was one of the greatest expenses next to food and transport.  Brass and percussion instruments can always be used a couple more years, especially with the right instructional staff.  Not today!  The focus today is to be all things to all people.  Drum corps is not for everyone, staff included, that's what made it so unique and intriguing and captured so much attention and following.  It truly caused young people to have to be great in order to be able to be a member, and when they left they were even better.  It was often lead by passionate expert instructors, some of whom you'd never guess we're musicians by their day job, that were specialized in and focused on drum and bugle corps.  It truly was special.  There was so much more done with so less, not long ago, that made it so pure!  Today, it reminds me of a highschool band competition.  I, and every other member, not too long ago, joined drum corps to go beyond marching band and DCI was it.  

If we lose the "have nots" we lose drum and bugle corps.

I wish there was an anger emoji. 

Just stop.

Drum corps has electronics. Drum corps has singers and props and amplification and all of those other things that young people appreciate.

WE ARE NEVER GOING BACK!!!!! 

Either get over it or go away

Edited by ContraFart
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Drum corps has electronics. Drum corps has singers and props and amplification and all of those other things that young people appreciate.  WE ARE NEVER GOING BACK!!!!!   Either get over it or go away.

For me, the interest in D&BC is fading.  Just hoping any future changes to the activity will take place after Boston gets a chance at a ring.

9 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

You sound as if people have a right and entitlement to march drum corps. 

If a woodwind wants to do DCI, they can learn to do something that will get them into one.

But turning DCI into glorified marching band would ruin the activity. So I have really no idea why anyone would even propose woodwinds to be allowed to march. I certainly wouldn't watch it. 

If someone had enough talent to march a corps, they certainly have enough talent to learn a mellophone. It isn't that difficult when you're learning to play the same 5 minutes of material over and over and over again. 

Turning 80 brass into 40 brass and 40 woodwinds. Lol. I've never even really heard a marching band where I can hear the woodwinds over the brass anyways. 

DCI is unique because of its sound. And its loudness. That's the very essence of what sets drum corps apart from other similar activities. Loud brass. Take that away and it's no longer what it was. 

If you want a competitive marching band activity during the summer, nothing is stopping you and others from "band"ing together and starting Marching Band International.

I disagree with most of your post. Suffice it to say this is my opinion based on the title of the thread. I don't what you or anyone else happens think. The poster asked us what new rule would we like to see.

Drum corps is marching band...always was and will be. Do WW have a right? I don't think I ever said that they do. I said I think DCI should legalize WW in some fashion, most especially in a new Anything Goes division. If no corps want to do that, than fine. It is just my opinion, after being around drum corps since 1963. 

I have indeed heard many bands where the WW were audible, by the way, including the one I worked with for a quarter century here in NJ, and arranged for between 2003 and 2017. Were we BOA level? Not even close, but we did a decent job at our level, and we always made sure the WW were written for properly and staged to be heard. 

On 8/16/2018 at 4:31 PM, GUARDLING said:

YES!

With that said, even the audience gets out of shows as fast as they can not even staying for the encore ( which debate in the activity for doing away with it too) SHows back in the day were weekend ( many ) corps need to move on. With weekday shows and electronics and the internet.people can get scores in their car if they want, which you couldn't do BITD

That’s it. Ban internet distribution of scores. Only hanging out in the lot and hoping a director shares then with the corps before loading busses or calling a 900 number from a rotary phone.  Otherwise scores will be printed in publications at the end  of each month and sold in limited quantities in very few places or mailed third class to subscribers.  

• Haha 1