What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

which IMO should be changed. 

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

which IMO should be changed.

54 minutes ago, MikeD said:

which should be changed.

What happened MD, did your device run out of I-M-O's?  Are those three posts your version of the movie "Ground Hog Day?"

For those arrangers out there, please let us know which WC top 6 finalist this year would have improved their brass book with WW?

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

OK, DCI World and Open class prohibits WW, which should be changed.

strongly disagree.

• Like 1

The past few years WGI Winds is a nice thing in the winter, inside smaller venues. To me, the winds do not stand out enough in that arena to be in consideration for dci. Maybe it hasn't come to fruition yet. Marching Bands highlight the winds and are enjoyable throughout the BOA season works well there.

In this vanilla world, we are painting is merging dci/BOA a mindset or a grassroots effort? What is the objection to having two different types of entertainment, variety is the spice of life? Music all of a sudden needs to be fair and equal on all fronts.

1) Show design is trending towards gender-neutral design I, am ok with that, very easy to please when it comes to drum coprs. Is that judged or will it be?                                           2) Dci needs to be like BOA - I draw the line when contras become real tubas -- don't go there. Winds not in favor but not a show stopper.                                                                         3) Cavies & Madison in a gender battle - will work itself out - not a show stopper.                                                                                                                                                                             4) The all-important Health & Saftey Issues need to stay ahead of all this other stuff and must be on top of every BOD/dci agenda - not saying it isn't 

14 hours ago, MikeD said:

Marching WW makes total sense. They are present in scholastic bands because they make sense to be there. Since the music is arranged specifically for field use, it can just as easily include WW parts, as it does for 99.999% or the marching band activity. Only the DCI and DCA segments don't permit it, which IMO should be changed.

It includes WW parts, but you can't hear those parts unless the brass stops playing.

Woodwinds simply don't have much utility on the football field. Again, they exist in scholastic marching bands because the instruments are needed in concert band. They're not needed in marching band. They're accommodated out of necessity.

DCI is a field activity designed for the outdoors. Unless that changes, there's no reason to include woodwinds. They'd put even more financial strain on the member corps and the show designs would be less entertaining for spectators. There's just no place for them.

Edited by jeffmolnar
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

It includes WW parts, but you can't hear those parts unless the brass stops playing.

Woodwinds simply don't have much utility on the football field. Again, they exist in scholastic marching bands because the instruments are needed in concert band. They're not needed in marching band. They're accommodated out of necessity.

DCI is a field activity designed for the outdoors. Unless that changes, there's no reason to include woodwinds. They'd put even more financial strain on the member corps and the show designs would be less entertaining for spectators. There's just no place for them.

Disagree 1000%, but I am out. This was a thread asking for people to give their rule change. I gave mine. Period. I don't care who agrees or disagrees. It is my opinion and my rule change per the OP's thread request, that's all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Disagree 1000%, but I am out. This was a thread asking for people to give their rule change. I gave mine. Period. I don't care who agrees or disagrees. It is my opinion and my rule change per the OP's thread request, that's all. 

Don't ya know, give your opinion ONLY when the mass agrees..lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

31 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You gave your opinion Mike and other's gave theirs, but you're out because their opinions including reasons behind their thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You gave your opinion Mike and other's gave theirs, but you're out because their opinions including reasons behind their thoughts?

Actually, it all means nothing because the corps will do what they want. AS of now many don't want WWs BUT that doesn't mean they won't be introduced as small parts as Trombones did, strings did, etc

It did seem like Mike D did present his reasons why agree or not. The thread just asked what rule change people wanted, it didn't express that you had to fight your point with those who disagree. And most didn't

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

No, I am out because I gave my reasons, and that is all. I won't change them, and they won't change me. It is my opinion for the reasons I gave. Period. 

• Like 1