What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

21 hours ago, Tim K said:

because the drum corps did look down on the bands and resented that the best drum corps often recruited from the bands.

Tim I don't know when you marched but it was not that way in the 1960's. From what I understand when the greatest generation came home from the war. They filled the ranks of their American Legion & VFW post. From there as well as the CYO corps DC 's were formed. Unintentionally and out of necessity filled their ranks with kids outside of the HS marching bands. For a over a decade the Music Teachers resented drum corps, we were not able to fill the ranks of their MB programs in the fall and if the "epic musical fail"  thread says anything that may not have changed but I know this person is in the minority among his peers.

There was a natural non abrasive reason for the separation. Both activities thrived, we were the baby boomers enough of us so not to get in each others way. I can't even remember one discussion back then about marching bands being better or worse they all severed a purpose. MB's were far outside the drum corps idiom then, nothing to compare. I do not think the Music Teachers enjoyed spending their time on the weekend walking their bands down the street. That' what DC was for.

To me all this in fighting between band & dci is detrimental making them the same is risking both brands. What I see is a mental picture revolving around contras & tubas, no one wants that so there is a difference. Do we have more against tubas than woodwinds or trombones are we that prejudice, them poor tubas your day will come.

No sampling or pre-recorded vocals/instrumentation. We pay big money to watch live performances, not to listen to prerecorded Britney, Frank Sinatra, or lines from Peanuts or It's A Wonderful Life. We can watch or listen to those anytime. Heck why not just hire Chuck Mangione or Herb Alpert to record a whole show, and a corps could perform as background artists. I think Colts and Madison Scouts proved how badly these effects/canned music can ruin a decent show this season, as have Cadets and other corps in the past.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2018 at 8:27 PM, MikeD said:

Eliminate any and all rules limiting instrumentation that can be used. Brass, Percussion, Woodwinds, Strings, etc...any and all to be permitted.

hell no

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Does anything prevent Sousaphone from spreading? Why isn't that just as contagious as French horn and Trombone since 2014?

Pain In the ### to deal with?

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Pain In the ### to deal with?

Not so. According to the description, it's easy to deal with:

"Because of the ease of carrying and the direction of sound, it is widely employed in marching bands, as well as various other musical genres." :thumbs-up:

It sounds like you could walk around all day with one, and would barely notice it.

Edited by kkrepps
  • Haha 1