What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

21 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Symmetrical drill and G Bugles only

I suggested one corps one year plays G-Valves as part of a Jurassic Park Show. Old timers could be the props they don't have a age restriction, do they. Would like to find out if they can rip my new Bose's speakers just plying the records that ripped my old Pioneer Speakers.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Old timers could be the props they don't have a age restriction

It would be stated up front that they arrive in back of tractor trailers be unloaded by the most beautiful people but electronically tracked like merchandise. 

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Yes, when this topic has come up(almost every year) the majority of those who have marched in the drum line thought that having the judge on the field was necessary to get a good read of demand.  But some percussionist including myself made the case that the need for safety outweighed the slight difference in a judges ability to read how well the drum line is executing and how demanding the book is.  When the drum line is dirty you don't have to be in front of the them to hear it. And since most of the corps already put the drum line closer to the front during the most demanding part of their show then I see no reason to have the judges running around the field dodging sets, props, rifles, flags, trombones, ect . 

Can't wait for another WWII show where the designer decides real bayonets on trombones would be the perfect touch.

Just let a brass/percussion judge try to give my Corps a low score. When are you judging again?  (Can't let the sabre team have all the fun.)

True story:  While in the Navy, we were giving some of the folks up for promotion some practice in leading a marching band with mace/baton. Since the trombones marched in front, we were always sent out as road guards when marching on base highways. We were marching thru an intersection and I was at the cross street as the road guard. I had stopped an officer's car, so when "Road guards in!" was given, I thought I'd better salute this guy. A hand salute would have sufficed, but I gave him a rifle salute with my trombone. He just laughed and saluted back. 

Edited by CrownBariDad

3 hours ago, Roos_Wayne said:

It was said before but the amount of pre-recorded music used should definitely be limited. To 0 in my opinion. It’s jarring to be hearing Micheal Jackson during a spot when the members should be playing. 

Also if the trends with hats continues, I think that judges should have to take note of differences between emotions shown by members. If you’re willing to take the risk of not using hats which sacrifices uniformity, you better be doing it effectively. 

Why exactly do members need to have the same expressions? The point of removing the helmets is to help the players connect with the audience better and promote artistic expression/individuality. 

Not everyone interprets art the same way. 

• Thanks 1

I'm no percussionist but I find it hard to believe a drum line can be read just as well from the stands as the field. Let's face it, DCI batteries (and front ensembles) play some really intricate stuff that involves lots of hand tricks and subtleties. These things are not a factor with hornlines which is why there isn't a specific judge running around the field for the brass. 

Of course some will argue that if batteries are playing things that cannot be picked up from the stands, then those things should not be judged anyways. But those people miss the point of the activity entirely! These percussionists join DCI to learn from the best of the best and become the best! We should be encouraging arrangers to push the boundaries of what the performers can do, not insist that they water it down. That's just silly. 

Rather than focus on getting rid of all percussion field judges entirely, we should bring forth rules that allow the current system to work in a safer manner. Don't allow field percussion judges at the very beginning of the season. Allow these judges to get a lay of the land of the show so that they have a general idea of what to expect. Once the judge has gotten a visual read of the show, allow them to judge from the field. If a particular judge over the course of the season shows reckless decision making during a show, then do not allow them to judge from the field for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why exactly do members need to have the same expressions? The point of removing the helmets is to help the players connect with the audience better and promote artistic expression/individuality. 

Not everyone interprets art the same way. 

Well in my opinion, and this isn't directed towards you and is more just rambling about how things are changing, I find it hard to believe that they can really connect to the audience at all from such a distance away. Especially when, theoretically, they should have a bell in front of their face most of the time and should be watching the drum major pretty much all the time.

But more to your point, uniformity is still the name of the game. If two people interpret a rhythm, or marching technique, or a form different ways, then they are not performing uniformly and it takes away from the performance. If expression is to become integral to the activity as it seems it will be, I see no reason why it should be any different.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:17 AM, Box5Opinion said:

My two cents: Have two judges, judge the caption awards during finals (guard, brass, percussion)!   

Great topic!! An idea for DCI. Full Disclosure. What was BD or SCV and every corps previous year budget....let’s disclose every drum corps expenditures  so the fan base can decide for themselves  if there is any correlation between  expenditures and results.

this could  serve as a call-out to judging bias based on corps that we all know control the top end of results.  I totally love BD and SCV....they are incredible....... but I more love true unbiased competition. Could a up and comer corps ever overtake one of these titans? NEVERin this current structure ! 

Maybe full disclosure serves as a check on judging bias.

6 minutes ago, Roos_Wayne said:

Well in my opinion, and this isn't directed towards you and is more just rambling about how things are changing, I find it hard to believe that they can really connect to the audience at all from such a distance away. Especially when, theoretically, they should have a bell in front of their face most of the time and should be watching the drum major pretty much all the time.

But more to your point, uniformity is still the name of the game. If two people interpret a rhythm, or marching technique, or a form different ways, then they are not performing uniformly and it takes away from the performance. If expression is to become integral to the activity as it seems it will be, I see no reason why it should be any different.

Until there is a caption that that addresses uniformity of facial muscles, this isn't going to happen. 

I agree that members should have to interpret a rhythm and style in the same way. You can't have one player playing staccato with the other legato. That certainly does take away from the performance as that is quite literally a conflicting interpretation of the same sheet music. But there is no sheet music or guideline to facial expressions. You can't control a member's emotions like they can control their body movements and fingers. It doesn't work like that. Someone can play a piece of music and feel happy while another could play the same piece of music and feel calm. 

Should the Bluecoats soloist from 2016 result in a penalty because he's the only one in the corps who decided to connect to the audience with a wink and laugh? 

12 minutes ago, steelchops said:

Great topic!! An idea for DCI. Full Disclosure. What was BD or SCV and every corps previous year budget....let’s disclose every drum corps expenditures  so the fan base can decide for themselves  if there is any correlation between  expenditures and results.

this could  serve as a call-out to judging bias based on corps that we all know control the top end of results.  I totally love BD and SCV....they are incredible....... but I more love true unbiased competition. Could a up and comer corps ever overtake one of these titans? NEVERin this current structure ! 

Maybe full disclosure serves as a check on judging bias.

Why should fiscally responsible organizations be penalized because others are not as fiscally responsible? Socialization of drum corps?