What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Until there is a caption that that addresses uniformity of facial muscles, this isn't going to happen. 

I agree that members should have to interpret a rhythm and style in the same way. You can't have one player playing staccato with the other legato. That certainly does take away from the performance as that is quite literally a conflicting interpretation of the same sheet music. But there is no sheet music or guideline to facial expressions. You can't control a member's emotions like they can control their body movements and fingers. It doesn't work like that. Someone can play a piece of music and feel happy while another could play the same piece of music and feel calm. 

Should the Bluecoats soloist from 2016 result in a penalty because he's the only one in the corps who decided to connect to the audience with a wink and laugh? 

What I'm saying is that it should be tied into the visual proficiency score.

That's not true by the way. Anyone who's been in/watched an indoor percussion ensemble in the last 10 years know that instructors literally say "Ok smile in this part, show excitement in this part, have an angry face in this part." If people want facial expressions, I think it has to come down to that.

And for the Bluecoats soloist of course not because that's a solo moment. That wouldn't get a penalty in the same way any soloist wouldn't get a penalty for playing different notes than the rest of the ensemble.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Why exactly do members need to have the same expressions? The point of removing the helmets is to help the players connect with the audience better and promote artistic expression/individuality. 

Not everyone interprets art the same way. 

True BUT they do this, even individuals with instruction,

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

Can't wait for another WWII show where the designer decides real bayonets on trombones would be the perfect touch.

I once judged a band show in CT where one of the bands opened with the main theme from the film "Robin Hood"...they had a band parent dressed in Robin Hood garb actually shoot an arrow...a real one...over the entire band. The chief judge at the show nearly had a heart attack as he ran up to the director to make sure they NEVER did such a thing at a show again.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

I once judged a band show in CT where one of the bands opened with the main theme from the film "Robin Hood"...they had a band parent dressed in Robin Hood garb actually shoot an arrow...a real one...over the entire band. The chief judge at the show nearly had a heart attack as he ran up to the director to make sure they NEVER did such a thing at a show again.

intended trajectory or poor aim? Taking judges out can be done by various methods. Ask the judge this year at Open Class in Michigan City or Charlie Poole when he judged at St. Bernard's.

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Taking judges out can be done by various methods. Ask the judge this year at Open Class in Michigan City or Charlie Poole when he judged at St. Bernard's.

Or anyone familiar with the Reilly Raider's DM Wild Bill Hooten and how he would get in the judges way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roos_Wayne said:

What I'm saying is that it should be tied into the visual proficiency score.

That's not true by the way. Anyone who's been in/watched an indoor percussion ensemble in the last 10 years know that instructors literally say "Ok smile in this part, show excitement in this part, have an angry face in this part." If people want facial expressions, I think it has to come down to that.

And for the Bluecoats soloist of course not because that's a solo moment. That wouldn't get a penalty in the same way any soloist wouldn't get a penalty for playing different notes than the rest of the ensemble.

I have to nix this proposal completely.

What do you do then with the mms who have facial nerve challenges and twitches also known as ticks. Or the mms with eye problems causing excessive blinking or twitching of the muscles between the eyes, lips, and ears?  Or mms with other mms with physical challenges with which they were born or have struggled?

Your proposal presumes that the judge is competent to distinguish the native twitch from the manufactured twitch or expression. Your proposal presumes the judge is competent to assess that half the unit is facially expressing one way with suitable music while the other half who are presenting contrasting tempos or new melodies are expressing another. Drum corps is for the mms, not the designers.  What is done and adjudicated on a football field and in a college-size or NFL stadium is very different from what is appropriate for a small h.s. gym or even the Dayton U. mini-arena. Your proposal is given to too much minutiae that is not realistic. Designers might fantasize about a unit of perfect people, but that is not life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

I have to nix this proposal completely.

What do you do then with the mms who have facial nerve challenges and twitches also known as ticks. Or the mms with eye problems causing excessive blinking or twitching of the muscles between the eyes, lips, and ears?  Or mms with other mms with physical challenges with which they were born or have struggled?

Your proposal presumes that the judge is competent to distinguish the native twitch from the manufactured twitch or expression. Your proposal presumes the judge is competent to assess that half the unit is facially expressing one way with suitable music while the other half who are presenting contrasting tempos or new melodies are expressing another. Drum corps is for the mms, not the designers.  What is done and adjudicated on a football field and in a college-size or NFL stadium is very different from what is appropriate for a small h.s. gym or even the Dayton U. mini-arena. Your proposal is given to too much minutiae that is not realistic. Designers might fantasize about a unit of perfect people, but that is not life.

I entirely agree with the second half of what you said, which is why I think that not wearing hats is pointless. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roos_Wayne said:

I entirely agree with the second half of what you said, which is why I think that not wearing hats is pointless. 

That's kind of a broad brush on the topic. There IS way more to it than that. With or without a hat one can certainly emote with body language no matter where performed. This hat or no hat thing is just a matter of choice, maybe a theme, maybe convenience or even maybe freedom. It's not black and white and differs from place to place. IMO either should be a choice.

Edited by GUARDLING

18 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Should the Bluecoats soloist from 2016 result in a penalty because he's the only one in the corps who decided to connect to the audience with a wink and laugh? 

The wink was that only noticed on FLO did he really connect with the audience, why pick on winks, did you not ever get any? Here are few on the house enjoy

Edited by Bluzes

On 8/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, Mello Dude said:

Ya, someone needs to get some OSHA people hired before there are some serious lawsuits.  I don't mind progress but lets keep it safe.

Never let OSHA anywhere near DCI.  There needs to be safety factors built into the activity but never governed by that bunch of nut jobs.  And I also think tarps should be banned.  Most MMs won't be as lucky and have the finesse the kid from Blue Stars had this year.  he could have seriously been injured.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1