What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

14 hours ago, WWonka said:

Play 90% of your show time.

Good luck with this one.  Trying to time when only the Trumpets, mello's, bari's, or contra's play.  Then you might have only two/three sections playing at the same time.  How would a long single brass solo be treated?  Would the on field percussion section be included.  Then you have the pit.  

At least it's a worthy goal Ghost.  Right now I would bet ensemble music play time is less than 7 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 10:21 PM, Cappybara said:

I'm no percussionist but I find it hard to believe a drum line can be read just as well from the stands as the field. Let's face it, DCI batteries (and front ensembles) play some really intricate stuff that involves lots of hand tricks and subtleties. These things are not a factor with hornlines which is why there isn't a specific judge running around the field for the brass. 

Of course some will argue that if batteries are playing things that cannot be picked up from the stands, then those things should not be judged anyways. But those people miss the point of the activity entirely! These percussionists join DCI to learn from the best of the best and become the best! We should be encouraging arrangers to push the boundaries of what the performers can do, not insist that they water it down. That's just silly. 

Rather than focus on getting rid of all percussion field judges entirely, we should bring forth rules that allow the current system to work in a safer manner. Don't allow field percussion judges at the very beginning of the season. Allow these judges to get a lay of the land of the show so that they have a general idea of what to expect. Once the judge has gotten a visual read of the show, allow them to judge from the field. If a particular judge over the course of the season shows reckless decision making during a show, then do not allow them to judge from the field for the rest of the season. 

I agree that it would be almost impossible to get a good read of the battery from the stands.  But i think if they are just off the field on the sideline, they should be able to get a good read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

1. get the judges off the field

2. return GE 1 / GE 2 to GE Visual & GE Music

I agree with #2 but not with #1, particularly with the ages of the judges up in the box already. Will you be providing telescopes?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I agree with #2 but not with #1, particularly with the ages of the judges up in the box already. Will you be providing telescopes?

uh no, the current "field judges" would be on the front sidelines, just not ON the field

they distract, interfere and frankly don't need to be ON the field - front sidelines is plenty close

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

uh no, the current "field judges" would be on the front sidelines, just not ON the field

Oh sure, add to Tony DiCarlo's responsibilities why don't you? What happens if a judge goes over the front sidelines?  Will the score be nullified, penalized or a large electronic buzzer go off and the lights at LOS start flashing?

Front sidelines are already too congested with the sound techs; wires for the mikes and front ensemble; Santa Clara/Regiment and others marching closer to the audience; Josh Clements and press corps trying to take that "perfect" photo; multi podiums for the conductors/drum majors; and the other judges who already use the track for judging ensemble sound, T&P, etc.  Ask any pit person, that area is already way too crowded.  Besides vertically challenged judges (like me) who are never be able to see over those "judge blockers" the guard uses to hide their fifteen sets of flags and to change into their new costumes for every third movement of a song would now have to climb the drum major's podium to see five feet in. It may not be ADA compliant.:mat:

There's a wisdom of the ages of how and why certain things came to be.  Not every change is for the better.

• Thanks 1

Cut GE from 40 to 20 points. Give 10 of those points to Visual Analysis, and the other 10 to Music Analysis.