What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

Not really a rule but just saw this from DCI's meeting in Phoenix - fewer performances per corps in 2019.  "Corps worked to adjust the total number of summer tour stops they will make in 2019 to provide increased rest for performers, staff, drivers and volunteers throughout the summer. The average number of performances per corps will be slightly lower than what it has been in the past."

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 7:47 AM, Slingerland said:

A limit on the number of seconds a show can use pre-recorded singing as part of the musical score. If singing is key to an arrangement, it should be done live, just like any other soloist.

I still don't understand how singing is even judged.  It's clear where brass and percussion featured soloist and small ensembles fit for scoring, but voice?  Not at all. 

I'm not talking wishy-washy "well it's probably under GE".  I mean something explicitly written in the rules. 

I'm not anti-voice at all, it's just becoming such an integral part to so many shows, I'd like to know exactly where it fits in the scoring rubric. 

-

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The Rose Bowl had one of the highest attendance numbers in the last 30 years. Between all of the Cali corps, plus people willing to travel, attendance isn't an issue there. Look Madison often got 20k paid, and Madison is not SoCal!

But, no place out there is offering DCI the financial incentives Indy does, and it allowed for the tour to follow a consistent path every year. And that's the key...Big regionals and finals is all money for DCI, which is the corps. Low overhead makes the corps more money. The Rose Bowl aint cheap, and nether would most major stadiums out there.

What you term a consistent path, others consider a rut.

4 minutes ago, Lance said:

I still don't understand how singing is even judged.  It's clear where brass and percussion featured soloist and small ensembles fit for scoring, but voice?  Not at all. 

I'm not talking wishy-washy "well it's probably under GE".  I mean something explicitly written in the rules. 

I'm not anti-voice at all, it's just becoming such an integral part to so many shows, I'd like to know exactly where it fits in the scoring rubric. 

-

I've been saying the same thing about dance and body movement for quite a while. I know there are some folks from the dance world who are not always as impressed with what they see on the drum corps field. Since I am not a dance expert, I'm only repeating what I hear. The only problem is that judging voice, or dance moves, or props, corps vary in their shows and some do not include singing, others props, or others dance moves. Would you have to have rule you must incorporate all three?

44 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Indy.....

On 8/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Slingerland said:

A limit on the number of seconds a show can use pre-recorded singing as part of the musical score. If singing is key to an arrangement, it should be done live, just like any other soloist.

I'm late in reply, so sorry if this has been addressed.

I think there would be problems arguing about what is "key".

On 8/13/2018 at 4:10 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I would go farther and ban all prerecorded sound.

(If a corps really, really, really needs to use a sample, then they take a 0.1 penalty for each second of use. Also they have to do the penalty math for the judges in advance, and if they give an incorrect figure, the penalty goes up by a point.)

^^^^^^^^  I like it!

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Not really a rule but just saw this from DCI's meeting in Phoenix - fewer performances per corps in 2019.  "Corps worked to adjust the total number of summer tour stops they will make in 2019 to provide increased rest for performers, staff, drivers and volunteers throughout the summer. The average number of performances per corps will be slightly lower than what it has been in the past."

I see the logic. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

the people with the most financial stake in the path haven't tried to get it changed. So if they are ok with it...