What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps is not unique and distinct from marching band, and it never has been.

Drum Corps is unique and it is because dci & The Corps themselves bound themselves to only perform in dci sanctioned events when they are together in the summer. Sure the money corps find other events outside the season but they are very scarce. For a corps to perform at an event in their hometown during the season is geographically impossible. For a Corps to play for the entire country to honor bigger picture events it first must fit in close to the tour or no go. Being in dci is very self-serving where marching bands can show up at any event anywhere and in more than just a 45-day window.

A woodwind player would get more of a varying musical experience being in a marching band. Than beating their heads against the wall. In the same musical structure against the same corps that bound themselves to that structure year in and year out. I don't feel sorry for a woodwind player at all and still, love drum corps and marching band but they are two distinctly different things.

Edited by Bluzes
edit

17 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps is part of marching/music. It is just not separate and distinct. It never really has been; IMO it is all part of the same large activity. 

Now you are confusing me.  If drum corps and marching band are all the same activity, then woodwinds are not being excluded from it.  So what are you complaining about?

Drum corps is part of marching/music. It is just not separate and distinct. It never really has been; IMO it is all part of the same large activity. 

Drum Corps and Marching Bands were two different things throughout the 1950's & 1960's. It was one or the other dc shows in late August and September conflicted with their Marching Band Schedule. I was excluded from band stayed in the corps. I do regret now that I was not able to wear the big harp design jacket that signified you were in a marching band back then. Was triggered back then and didn't even notice. All water under the bridge that has been fixed and we are better off.

No reason WW players should have to try and learn another instrument, that in a lot of cases locks them out of making a top corps. 

Lots of people have to learn another instrument if they want to make a top corps.  Only 6 tympanists can play their chosen primary instrument with a top-6 corps; any others who want in must learn something else.  There are no spots anywhere in drum corps where you can play French horn for the whole show, so even those few horn players who feature on the instrument in DCI must learn something else for part of the show.

You know what locks people out of making a top corps?  An inflexible attitude that places their personal desires above the good of the corps.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, Tony Flores said:

or go back to a box and a field percussion judge...that worked just fine. And on the performer safety front, would love to see a collaboration between DCI and the member orgs to instatiute an onsite compliance officer, collaboration meaning shared funding and ensure they are a 3rd party person...not beholden to anyone except the safety of the performers

And back to field and box for brass. Except for regionals, you either get a brass person or percussion person on MA

Just now, skevinp said:

Are you still harping on that?

Yep, back then them getting more girls than me was frustrating.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:46 PM, MikeD said:

Back in the day the pyramid of drum corps were the hundreds of small corps as the base that funneled up to the top elite corps. The b and activity was pretty much a separate type of thing. Of course, even then there were members who crossed over both, but in general drum corps was its own distinct things...all drums and horns.

Today the base of the pyramid are the scholastic bands. The hundreds of small corps have long since died away, with the scholastic bands filling that void. The rise of the corps-style competitive bands, fueled by drum corps people, actually, has been used to replace the small local corps, in far larger numbers than ever existed in the early era. 

I see no reason why guard members, percussionists and brass players are welcome to participate at the DCI level in the summer, but woodwind players are  not. Just MHO.  I've suggested before that DCI should create an "Anything goes" division, where there are no limits on instrumentation or membership. If no corps want to march there, fine. If two or three or more want to, also fine.

You’re right! People that want to play baseball only should be allowed to play football as well as basketball only kids should be allowed to wrestle!

On 8/17/2018 at 9:58 AM, cixelsyd said:

Because DCI is not just a "level" in your personal pyramid.  It is a distinct and separate activity (until they decide it is not).

And there was a summer band circuit once. Oh wait it died due to lack of interest

• Like 1