What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps is part of marching/music. It is just not separate and distinct. It never really has been; IMO it is all part of the same large activity. 

Brass bands are similar to wind ensembles but they don’t change up just to be all inclusive. Same with dci

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I wish there was an anger emoji. 

Just stop.

Drum corps has electronics. Drum corps has singers and props and amplification and all of those other things that young people appreciate.

WE ARE NEVER GOING BACK!!!!! 

Either get over it or go away

I ❤️ You

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, cixelsyd said:

Because DCI is not just a "level" in your personal pyramid.  It is a distinct and separate activity (until they decide it is not).

it was decided decades ago it wasn't separate and this was by drum corps people. I am not saying I want WWs or not BUT to say distinct and separate not true. Distinct? maybe, separate? there is more the same than different including those involved.

Edited by GUARDLING

5 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I wish there was an anger emoji. 

Just stop.

Drum corps has electronics. Drum corps has singers and props and amplification and all of those other things that young people appreciate.

WE ARE NEVER GOING BACK!!!!! 

Either get over it or go away

so true at least nowhere close to where it was. and why would it

Oh, one thing I would propose: corps can only perform music that they have the rights to include in the Blu-rays.

This modern trend of full minutes of silence in the world championship production is ridiculous. DCI needs to figure that out.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2018 at 2:46 PM, MikeD said:

Back in the day the pyramid of drum corps were the hundreds of small corps as the base that funneled up to the top elite corps. The b and activity was pretty much a separate type of thing. Of course, even then there were members who crossed over both, but in general drum corps was its own distinct things...all drums and horns.

Today the base of the pyramid are the scholastic bands. The hundreds of small corps have long since died away, with the scholastic bands filling that void. The rise of the corps-style competitive bands, fueled by drum corps people, actually, has been used to replace the small local corps, in far larger numbers than ever existed in the early era. 

I see no reason why guard members, percussionists and brass players are welcome to participate at the DCI level in the summer, but woodwind players are  not. Just MHO.  I've suggested before that DCI should create an "Anything goes" division, where there are no limits on instrumentation or membership. If no corps want to march there, fine. If two or three or more want to, also fine.

eh. Marching full woodwind sections never made sense. You only see it in high school bands because the instruments are needed for concert band. For an activity designed for the football field, woodwind sections make no sense.

This isn't exclusive to drum corps. Most professional orchestras don't have a dedicated euphonium section, because most symphonies don't have euphonium parts. It is what it is.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And there was a summer band circuit once. Oh wait it died due to lack of interest

Yes, there was and it died. There is also the Calgary Stampeders they were a drum corps once and by the looks of them this year in Indy they may still want to be. They are a perfect example of making the transition and staying alive. They have a worldwide following rivaling that of SCV, BD or The Cadets. No, they are not better but found a way to entertain more different people.

If one could poll the entire world and ask what band name do you recognize out of the 4 of them I would put my money on Calgary. What this has to with anything is puzzling but interesting. The moral of the story don't bet online the 5th graders fix everything these days!!!

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

it was decided decades ago it wasn't separate and this was by drum corps people. I am not saying I want WWs or not BUT to say distinct and separate not true. Distinct? maybe, separate? there is more the same than different including those involved.

Are there any ensembles competing in both?  No?  Well, then, it is separate.  (Very closely interrelated, but separate.)