What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The number of trombones in a show cannot exceed the number of cymbals marched by the battery.

Interesting that the DCI '18 World Class champion SCV marched no trombones and still won the Ott. They also marched their traditional Cymbal line and won the Sanford.

• Like 5

" What rule would I propose for the 2019 DCI Tour ? " ( you ask )

A simple one.. even if it seemingly has to be a reminder :

DFTK.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1.- Unfettered anonymous access for complaints/concerns of MMs and Staff.

2..- Chaperones.Everywhere.

3.-  Background checks on all admins/staffs.

4.- Minimal tromboneage, recorded vox,, and please end the propapolooza.

5.- End 5 panel judging.

6.- Double guard judges to tandem the others, especially at major events.

7.- Double down on appropriate transportation, med-staff  and financials for all corps w/ pre-tour compliance checks.

8.- Require all costumers to wear their 'creations' on busy streets, E-freaking enough already!!

9.- Thank-you.

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Interesting that the DCI '18 World Class champion SCV marched no trombones and still won the Ott. They also marched their traditional Cymbal line and won the Sanford.

I guess you could also say...SCV marched no trombones and still won the Sanford. They also marched their traditional Cymbal line and won the Ott.  :dancin:  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, xandandl said:

#### them for staying stuck in the past

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2018 at 11:35 PM, steelchops said:

Great topic!! An idea for DCI. Full Disclosure. What was BD or SCV and every corps previous year budget....let’s disclose every drum corps expenditures  so the fan base can decide for themselves  if there is any correlation between  expenditures and results.

this could  serve as a call-out to judging bias based on corps that we all know control the top end of results.  I totally love BD and SCV....they are incredible....... but I more love true unbiased competition. Could a up and comer corps ever overtake one of these titans? NEVERin this current structure ! 

Maybe full disclosure serves as a check on judging bias.

This is an OK idea that won't work because corps' accountants, generally, don't produce the financial documents of a season until the end of the following season.  So, generally, the 2018 financials won't be available until the spring of 2020.

Further, even without the numbers, it's a pretty strong guess that the wealthiest corps get the most expensive designs, equipment, music, staff...  and the most time to rehearse (if you go on last at a show, your corps can rehearse for hours longer than the openers of the show.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:35 PM, steelchops said:

What was BD or SCV and every corps previous year budget....let’s disclose every drum corps expenditures  so the fan base can decide for themselves  if there is any correlation between  expenditures and results.

I don't believe " disclosure of Drum Corps expenditures", is needed however to learn what should be fairly obvious to begin with, ie that Corps that have the best financial resources, can invest in success , better than Corps with less financial resources, less investment can toward success.. And that such financial investment toward success tends to become the net result, ie  more success. Do we really need a full investigation to find out that the reason the NY Yankees, LA Dodgers, Boston Red Sox Houston Astros, ( and Alabama, Ohio State in college football ) tend to win more than ( say ) the Milwaukee Brewers, Tampa Rays, Baltimore Orioles, ( or Tulane, Rice, etc in college football ) is due to better resources, higher financial investments toward success ? Or do we sort of intuitively know it as simple economics common sense,  and without the need for any deep analysis or " full disclosures " to determine this ?

Edited by BRASSO

On 8/19/2018 at 12:07 AM, MikeD said:

Marching WW makes total sense. They are present in scholastic bands because they make sense to be there. Since the music is arranged specifically for field use, it can just as easily include WW parts, as it does for 99.999% or the marching band activity. Only the DCI and DCA segments don't permit it, which IMO should be changed.

maybe I'm wrong ( and it won't be the first time) but doesn't the maintenance of woodwind instruments incur costs to a drum corps that might be better spent elsewhere?..maybe the summer band circuit eluded to earlier, failed , because in part, of the hell those ww instruments go through in the heat and humidity of a summer tour..IMHO

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

maybe I'm wrong ( and it won't be the first time) but doesn't the maintenance of woodwind instruments incur costs to a drum corps that might be better spent elsewhere?..maybe the summer band circuit eluded to earlier, failed , because in part, of the hell those ww instruments go through in the heat and humidity of a summer tour..IMHO

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't woodwinds be reproduced with all the electronic stuff being done in the pit?

• Like 3