What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

Retreat at all shows starting in July.

Full finals retreat, with corps playing/singing a selection rather than boring videos. Mass musical selection at the end.

Victory concerts based on who scores highest at shows.

• Like 1

2 Percussion Judges (front ensemble / battery)

Mic's only used for front ensemble equipment and horn soloists - no mic's attached to horns or drums themselves

Better judging of vocals and recorded audio and effects into music ensemble - there are places where vocalists aren't always on key or the balance of some electronics is just horrible yet it never affects a score I don't get that

52 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Retreat at all shows starting in July.

Full finals retreat, with corps playing/singing a selection rather than boring videos. Mass musical selection at the end.

Victory concerts based on who scores highest at shows.

Agnus Dei? Kyrie? Simple Song?  (Those Bernstein rights aren't always easy to obtain.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Agnus Dei? Kyrie? Simple Song?  (Those Bernstein rights aren't always easy to obtain.)

Well played, my friend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

This change will reduce the number of brass and percussion players and that to me is a catastrophic change to the unique sound that attract fans to drum corps.

There are plenty of musical groups  all over the country (Mainly marching bands) that members and fans can enjoy that feature the instrumentation mix you are proposing. 

In land of many choices why do people want to merge all the marching art activities in to one?  

Back in the day the pyramid of drum corps were the hundreds of small corps as the base that funneled up to the top elite corps. The b and activity was pretty much a separate type of thing. Of course, even then there were members who crossed over both, but in general drum corps was its own distinct things...all drums and horns.

Today the base of the pyramid are the scholastic bands. The hundreds of small corps have long since died away, with the scholastic bands filling that void. The rise of the corps-style competitive bands, fueled by drum corps people, actually, has been used to replace the small local corps, in far larger numbers than ever existed in the early era. 

I see no reason why guard members, percussionists and brass players are welcome to participate at the DCI level in the summer, but woodwind players are  not. Just MHO.  I've suggested before that DCI should create an "Anything goes" division, where there are no limits on instrumentation or membership. If no corps want to march there, fine. If two or three or more want to, also fine.

2 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Back in the day the pyramid of drum corps were the hundreds of small corps as the base that funneled up to the top elite corps. The b and activity was pretty much a separate type of thing. Of course, even then there were members who crossed over both, but in general drum corps was its own distinct things...all drums and horns.

Today the base of the pyramid are the scholastic bands. The hundreds of small corps have long since died away, with the scholastic bands filling that void. The rise of the corps-style competitive bands, fueled by drum corps people, actually, has been used to replace the small local corps, in far larger numbers than ever existed in the early era. 

I see no reason why guard members, percussionists and brass players are welcome to participate at the DCI level in the summer, but woodwind players are  not. Just MHO.  I've suggested before that DCI should create an "Anything goes" division, where there are no limits on instrumentation or membership. If no corps want to march there, fine. If two or three or more want to, also fine.

Soundsport. There are marching band circuits. Calgary Showband, Burlington Teen Tour Band. Lutheran Vanguard, and others of that ilk in the Wisconsin and Midwest summer band circuits.

Fife and Drum Corps are woodwinds are they not. God knows there are enough of them in the Mid-Atlantic and New England States to keep any woodwind player busy. 

Your push to make drum corps like BOA and USBands is like those pushing for marriages to include tying the knot with one's pet and plants. We want because we want.

If I consider retreats from an MM POV, I am against them.  Think of it this way: I arrive in town around 4 am, after an hour or two of "bus sleep" (and we know how great that is) on a 4 hour ride, lay on a gym floor for a few hours, get up, eat breakfast, rehearse, slam down lunch, rehearse more (in the heat), have "dinner", shower, jump on a bus, warm up, line up, perform, now hang around for a while, line up again for retreat, wait for the awards, finally get back to take off the uni, get a snack, and get on a bus.    Retreats for touring corps are time killers.  We worry about MM safety but we are OK with rest and sleep deprivation.  Retreats are passe'.  Not needed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

If I consider retreats from an MM POV, I am against them.  Think of it this way: I arrive in town around 4 am, after an hour or two of "bus sleep" (and we know how great that is) on a 4 hour ride, lay on a gym floor for a few hours, get up, eat breakfast, rehearse, slam down lunch, rehearse more (in the heat), have "dinner", shower, jump on a bus, warm up, line up, perform, now hang around for a while, line up again for retreat, wait for the awards, finally get back to take off the uni, get a snack, and get on a bus.    Retreats for touring corps are time killers.  We worry about MM safety but we are OK with rest and sleep deprivation.  Retreats are passe'.  Not needed.

YES!

With that said, even the audience gets out of shows as fast as they can not even staying for the encore ( which debate in the activity for doing away with it too) SHows back in the day were weekend ( many ) corps need to move on. With weekday shows and electronics and the internet.people can get scores in their car if they want, which you couldn't do BITD

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2