What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

Figure out how NOT to screw West Coast fans (oh, I forgot, its all way too hard for easterners and midwesterners since they are so weak).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, xandandl said:

So bitter, so sad.:bluedevil:

And irrationally angry (its all the rage now).

as long as the deal with Indy is in place and the corps from out there do not make it an issue, I doubt you will see a change. Honestly the biggest driver for change would be the corps or rapidly declining attendance in Indy

First and foremost.. member safety... I would propose that each corps must have a dedicated, full time safety and compliance officer. Someone completely independent of instructional or design staff. I would also propose that this individual reports DIRECTLY to DCI and not corps management. If an issue of member safety arises, this individual should be compelled to report findings to DCI and the relevant legal authorities if required and have the authority of the sanctioning body to shut down a corps if compliance issues are not addressed in a timely and satisfactory manner. Enough is enough. It is time for draconian measures. It isn't 1989 anymore.

Also on the safety front... Modern drum corps is a very physical activity. A fully qualified sports medicine professional should be required on all staffs as well as a fully qualified dietician. If we can afford high cost equipment and instructors, we can afford that the members are properly fed and cared for.

On the competition side of things...

Separate field percussion judges... Battery and pit are two completely different beasts.

All shows MUST have full judging panels. The members pay a lot of money to be taught by and evaluated by world class level educators and the fans pay a lot to watch. This is the least all should expect.

On that same token... Minimum show length of 10:00. The fans pay a lot of money to see what corps do. It is ripping them off to only see half a show. If a corps has less than 10 minutes on the field, I would assess the penalties at five hundredths (.05) for every second under the minimum time, ie... If a corps came out minus their closer and their show was only 7:30 in length the penalty would be 7.5 points (150 seconds x .05).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

as long as the deal with Indy is in place and the corps from out there do not make it an issue, I doubt you will see a change. Honestly the biggest driver for change would be the corps or rapidly declining attendance in Indy

Attendance could well be the issue. My guess would be that there are more drum corps fans in the East and Midwest than on the West Coast. And while I know there is a new contract with LOS which, if I am not mistaken is for ten years, it will be a while till finals would return to California. As I say this, it is too bad there is such a long term contract. I know many people opted out of going to Pasadena in 2007, but the country was in serious economic turmoil in 2007 and lots of people could not afford vacations. Finals held in a vacation area in a good economy could attract fans from the East, Midwest, and South to California, and it would be less challenging for corps to raise funds to travel. 

On 10/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, Tim K said:

Attendance could well be the issue. My guess would be that there are more drum corps fans in the East and Midwest than on the West Coast. And while I know there is a new contract with LOS which, if I am not mistaken is for ten years, it will be a while till finals would return to California. As I say this, it is too bad there is such a long term contract. I know many people opted out of going to Pasadena in 2007, but the country was in serious economic turmoil in 2007 and lots of people could not afford vacations. Finals held in a vacation area in a good economy could attract fans from the East, Midwest, and South to California, and it would be less challenging for corps to raise funds to travel. 

The Rose Bowl had one of the highest attendance numbers in the last 30 years. Between all of the Cali corps, plus people willing to travel, attendance isn't an issue there. Look Madison often got 20k paid, and Madison is not SoCal!

But, no place out there is offering DCI the financial incentives Indy does, and it allowed for the tour to follow a consistent path every year. And that's the key...Big regionals and finals is all money for DCI, which is the corps. Low overhead makes the corps more money. The Rose Bowl aint cheap, and nether would most major stadiums out there.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The Rose Bowl had one of the highest attendance numbers in the last 30 years. Between all of the Cali corps, plus people willing to travel, attendance isn't an issue there. Look Madison often got 20k paid, and Madison is not SoCal!

But, no place out there is offering DCI the financial incentives Indy does, and it allowed for the tour to follow a consistent path every year. And that's the key...Big regionals and finals is all money for DCI, which is the corps. Low overhead makes the corps more money. The Rose Bowl aint cheap, and nether would most major stadiums out there.

Agree. The key number to look at is the NET dollars made from champs week, not just the total audience count.