Was 2018 the greatest season ever? Let these Stats speak for themselves

From 1974 to 2018:

2018 had the smallest spread from top corps to 12th place corps -- 11.905.  Followed by

1988 -- 12    and  2006 -- 12.375

2018 had the 6th highest average score of top 12 with 92.414.  here are the top 3

1.  2014  92.8375     2.  2010 92.689  3. 1989  92.617

2018 had the 10th highest score (not average) of all time.  Interesting -- 9 out of 10 high scores all came since 2002 with only 1989 being before 2002.

As noted, 2018 Crossmen had the highest 12 place score followed by 2014 -- 86.225 and 2005  86.075

So, if bunching means that 2018 was one of the best than I would say the statistics prove it out.  If by definition best means most competitive.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

2018 had the smallest spread from top corps to 12th place corps -- 11.905.  Followed by

Wonderful, it was a great year the talent level runs deep. Now if we could only see some realistic competition and not have the napkin theory win dci next month with a drawing done at a restaurant. Or maybe it comes from Scratch, a visual programming language and online community targeted primarily at children. Using Scratch, users can create online projects and develop them into almost anything by using a simple block-like interface. Dominating dci should take more than that!

Just No. 

• Confused 1

As another thread notes, of the non-finalists 6 had the highest score for their placement.  Taking PC as an example (79.3 in semis -- highest 20th place score):  in the LOS Era, that score would have put them in the 15-17 range in some years.

Everyone is stepping up their game. 

• Like 2

I think the overall talent level up and down the lineup of corps was probably the best it has ever been.  That being said, I do not think the overall show designs matched that talent level.  Some really strong talent from several different corps were saddled with some clunkers for shows.  So I would say No.

• Like 1

These sorts of discussions are fun!

But no.

I thought last year was better, IMO. Every single show from top to bottom was entertaining last year. Not the case this year, unfortunately. That being said, this was my very first trip to Indy to see Semis and Finals. So while it wasn’t the best season ever, DCI ‘18 will always be a very special year to me.

I think a great deal other than what we see on the field makes a season the greatest. 

For me, 1980 is always a favorite. My attending finals was watching finals on Boston’s PBS station, Channel 2 on the only TV set in the house. Saw lots of local shows that year, both national and circuit, but I has my license and could drive to shows and subscriptions to “Drum Corps World” and “Drum Corps News.” 

1988 and 1989 had some of the greatest shows up to that point and many still find themselves on lists of favorites. 

In 1994 and 2005, finals were held near home.

The entertainment level of 2011 as compared to previous years was huge and though I always enjoyed drum corps, my love was reinvigorated. 2012 was my first trip to Indy. 2013 I saw a new champion “crowned” for the first time.

in 2016 I was caught off guard by the growth of quality in OC shows, plus we had a new first time finalist and a first time champion. 

For 2018, it may go down for me as one of the greatest, especially when I recall FREE Players and the fun on Saturday morning at SoundSport and Drum Line Battle. 

For me, it’s not just the competition, it’s the experience.