Post Tour Laundry Day

4 hours ago, CorpwithanS said:

From Grandfather, the tailor:

Hang salvageables on hangers. (test a patch if concerned  about fading)

Buy cheap (bottom shelf) vodka and fill a lg. spray bottle. (Bolshoi does this on non-washable, expensive costumes)

Spray directly on clothing, do not dilute vodka w/ water, and do not soak the fabric w/ the spray

Air line-dry,  pref in sunlight

Wash  and dry regular method(s)

Have a sip. Cheers

Rinse and repeat next season. Good rest to all!

one-thing-even-cheap-vodka-is-good-for-m

Huh. I'll try this with a synthetic fabric shirt I've got that I want to keep for sentimental reasons.  Even if it doesn't work.  Hey vodka

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some great suggestions here about removing odors, but something you might want to consider for next year marchers.

Most towns or towns close by will have thrift stores, whether it be Salvation Army, Goodwill, church run organizations, etc. Many of these stores will have half price sales, bag sales, quarter days, etc. Find out when those sales are, and plan on going and buying multiple items in the required sizes. I know people that  have come out with an entire summer wardrobe for less than $20. It is pretty easy to pitch 12-20 items when you don't have but a couple of dollars(or less) invested in each item.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MisterA said:

Find out when those sales are, and plan on going and buying multiple items in the required sizes.  

It might be hard for a mm to get away in order to do this.  Even on laundry day or a day off (?) it might be hard.  Maybe buy what you might want before ST and have someone send them to the various mail drops during the tour.  Throw away clothing works well for Jack Reacher.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

Baking soda was another thing I forgot about.  It helps remove tough smells and stains. 

It also helps clean and deodorize your washing machine.  Which is important if you are actually putting post season MM laundry in it. You have to consider whether it is worth the potential transfer of the smell to the washing machine when you do the laundry. 

You may want to consider hand washing it (with gloves of course), or taking it to a Laundromat. But DON'T take it to a laundromat in your area, because they may recognize you and not let you back in.  Also, don't wear YOUR corps t-shirt if you go there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

It might be hard for a mm to get away in order to do this.  Even on laundry day or a day off (?) it might be hard.  Maybe buy what you might want before ST and have someone send them to the various mail drops during the tour.  Throw away clothing works well for Jack Reacher.

That is why I mentioned it for next years tour. That gives you 8 months to purchase the sale items prior to the tour. Also for those people who are leery purchasing used clothing, now is a great time of year to purchase summer clearance items at chain stores for next summer, as many stores have 50-80% off sales this time of year.

One great product which can help during the summer is Tap-A-Drop. It comes in about a one ounce bottle, and you can put a couple of drops on a cotton ball or dryer sheet in the bag of clothing, even on tour. It is great on all sorts of odors. Pet, cigarette, extremely ripe clothing etc. It comes in 6 different scents, and can be ordered online at www.nilodor.com  It is about $6-8 a bottle but one drop freshens up to 1000 cubic feet, and a bottle can sometimes last 6 months to a year.

4 minutes ago, MisterA said:

One great product which can help during the summer is Tap-A-Drop. It comes in about a one ounce bottle, and you can put a couple of drops on a cotton ball or dryer sheet in the bag of clothing, even on tour. It is great on all sorts of odors. Pet, cigarette, extremely ripe clothing etc. It comes in 6 different scents, and can be ordered online at www.nilodor.com  It is about $6-8 a bottle but one drop freshens up to 1000 cubic feet, and a bottle can sometimes last 6 months to a year.

Wouldn't a box of Bounce sheets work just as well?

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Wouldn't a box of Bounce sheets work just as well?

Bounce sheets are good, but this Tap-A-Drop is amazing. Hopefully someone else here on DCP has tried it and will speak up on how great it is. I personally love the citrus scent the best, but my wife really loves mint scent. And the bottles are about the size of a small bottle of valve oil, so easily carried without taking much space. I think the product is manufactured in house, and the company is based in Ohio. I still suggest bargain thrift shopping and tossing clothes at the end of the season. But Tap-A-Drop might possibly salvage a few items you want to save.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

First check HAZMAT disposal policy in your area.... lol

Madison has this all down. They are to be placed in medical waste containers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2