Crowd Love at Finals

40 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

As a kid watching Boston place second in Fenway Park in 1965. I had tears in my eyes for them. It will be very special for Boston to take the crown in the years to come. To the best of my recollection a New England Corps has never won a National title. 1994 our son was in Boston in The old Gillette Stadium (over 30k in attendance) they came in 13th thought here we go again. Now Boston is OK no finals anywhere near Boston in the foreseeable future. GO BAC

Good to hear, Bluzes...  it was the  '67 AL Nationals that took place in Fenway Park, Boston. The Crusaders took 1st in Prelims.. would have topped Cavaliers for the Title on Finals Night, but the Inspection Scores were mysteriously dropped at the last minute, ( Boston would have won if those scores were entered, but they wern't ) and so the Cavaliers took home the '67 National Title on Finals night, edging Boston by 4 tenths who finished 2nd.

The closest a Boston region Corps has come in the DCI years to a DCI Title was 1980. The Blue Devils ( who else... haha!) topped the 27th Lancers, Revere, Ma. by 4 tenths on Finals Night to win the 1980 DCI Title.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

it was the  '67 AL National

65  67 is all a blur to me, thanks for setting me straight - straight, right Jerry Garcia was alive that may have something to do with it.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Totally off topic but thought you guys would enjoy

Nice, never bubbled up any of my drum corps records in my friends mothers new window oven!!!! 

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Crusaders took 1st in Prelims.. would have topped Cavaliers for the Title on Finals Night, but the Inspection Scores were mysteriously dropped at the last minute, ( Boston would have won if those scores were entered, but they wern't ) and so the Cavaliers took home the '67 National Title on Finals night, edging Boston by 4 tenths who finished 2nd.

Thank You Mr. Brasso, for the past 25 years we been friends with 5 Cavies that performed in Fenway. We go to each others family weddings and really enjoy being together. Now I have something to ponder all year about how much fun they will have when I mention this. There are others in our dci hotel group. Like a dear friend from SAC is a lot more grumpier these days when the success of the 60's Cavies is mentioned. I sure don't remember how to spell (if I ever did) but memories from Drum Corps has a special place in ones mind and heart. Thanks Again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

I agree with most of what you say except for the names will never hurt since you are referencing sticks and stones...they do hurt in an EVEN greater capacity than a broken bone ever would...just wanted to say my peace on that...

You’re right. Name calling is mean. Not the best saying for what I meant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

It's not about a thick skin for the kids MOST just laugh it all  ( even a DCP night on buses a few years ago. WOrds do mean something. I know that is a strange concept nowadays in the highest places in our country BUT they do.

You took one line of a much longer post. Often the one line people choose to respond to is merely a statement in relation to the subject of the entire post. Taking the line on it's own deflects from a much bigger picture imo

I do agree with parts of what you say though

It’s true. I hyper focused on that one statement. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Didn't really "feel" a difference in the top 6 except for maybe more for SCV. Cadets got the love because of all they've been through in 2018. Mandarins definitely got the love for their first appearance in Finals. That's my view from 537, 30 yard line. 

The ovation Cadets received was more related to their show than to anything they went through. Sure, early in the season I felt many in attendance were pulling for them for what occurred in the off-season. But, truly, the crowd reaction late in the year was a product of the tremendous show they performed. The Cadets show drew in audience members and generated an organic response.  It was great to see and a show I won't soon forget.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

It still baffles me that a few people on here continue to whine about staff moving from corps to corps.  Whether it be for money, staff chemistry, creative freedom (all three in the case of some of the BAC staff), this has been going on for years.  Star of Indiana, anyone?  Also, as I said in another thread somewhere recently, Boston's payroll is still less than BD.  Are our friends from Concord "buying" success as well?

For literally decades, BAC lost staff and members to other corps. Everyone was fine was that.   Like all Boston staff in the 80s, I taught the corps without pay of any kind for 6 years.  It was what we alumni did (gladly) to maintain the corps' survivability.  Now, many of those 80's kids have become extremely successful, both professionally and financially,  and are applying their talents to giving back in a different way...raising funds for the current and future members.  You make it sound like poor Crown is destitute and has no means at their disposal to staff their corps.  Really?

Dude, get over it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was not at finals so I have no clue who got the best crowd response. I am sure all the corps did well.  It was such a strong top 12.  As for the comments about Cadets perhaps getting more applause due to sentimental reasons, I honestly think that might have been more true for them at the beginning of the season. However, from a pure show and performance perspective, just go read my early review of Cadets from the Akron show.  I was probably a little harsh on the corps. They really started sluggishly, did not sound too good, the show was not complete nor did it work from top to bottom, and I was not a fan of the uniforms.  I didn't take it easy on them, despite off field issues, because I didn't think they would want that. I focused on the show and performance...not the off season. 

They did get a sentimental welcome at Akron, and elsewhere, as they should; but once the show starts DCI fans can be tough critics.  I certainly was.

As the season progressed the Cadets found magic in this show. They rewrote all kinds of stuff, become better players and marchers, tweaked the music to perfection, and really put together a killer closer to the show. The marchers and staff did a brilliant job of finding the right mix of complexity, emotional, and and exciting music; and the drill was killer.  They really marched a wicked hard program and their drumline in particular really threw down later in the season. So yes, their ovations at East and Indy were more for the excellence of performance and the fact that the show was REALLY good.  I don't think people were jumping out of their seat because they felt bad for the corps. 

The audience response for corps like SCV, Bluecoats, BD, Boston, Mandarins, etc., I am sure were amazing...and likely due to great show design and incredible performance. 

• Like 3