SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

3 hours ago, SWriverstone said:

I've spent countless hours of my life studying, listening to, and performing music of all kinds. I have a BM degree from Juilliard—which doesn't make me more knowledgeable than anyone else—it simply certifies that I'm very knowledgeable about music—and what distinguishes good music from bad music. Contrary to popular belief, music isn't "in the ear of the beholder." It's entirely possible to judge it objectively and even place it (roughly) on a universal scale from bad to good.

Scott

I'm sorry to be so harsh today with you Scott,. and do hope you will continue to post here and give us your thoughts and assessments in the future, as obviously you have some levels of training and experience with Music of all sorts, and I'd be interested in learning of them from your experiences.

I would take issue with your comment that music can be judged" objectively", or that it can roughly  " even be placed on a universal scale from bad to good ". I beg to differ.  I don't believe so. Its subjective to us all, imo, Scott, despite our pedigree, training, and experiences, preferences, biases that we as humans all have to one degree or another. Otherwise, you would be compelled that these music critics, fellow esteemed composers, and other so called  experts  got it right and " objectively" when they assessed these works  " from good to bad " this way after hearing it live in performance:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/legendary-pieces-critics-hated/

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

No degree just a set of ears. The more musically educated folks that kicked the old timers out (staff from the glory days from senior corps) had fans glued to their seats at dci up-till the last few years. Your yakking back and forth has run it's course, thank god.

The last thing we need is folks wearing their musical degree on their back rather than corps attire at dci. Who cares what's in the mind of dci fans. We are there to entertained and not to be phyco-analyzed by the musical elite, go pound sand. Write a thesis  get more degrees but don't come here and insult the fans, grow up and use your education for something worthwhile. You have your own forums to laugh at us in private show some respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I think a lot of us are just glad to see SCV finally win another one. And did you HEAR THAT MELLO SUSTAIN?  Perhaps you turn up your nose at such things as a highly trained musician with BM from Juilliard. Me, I'm just a cretin. I like things that make my pulse go up. Like THAT MELLO SUSTAIN DID YOU HEAR THAT ?!?!?!!!!

they had me long before the mello sustain. not quite hello...i mean the pit had me sold at the start, but i waited for everyone else to enter first

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SWriverstone said:

). Even the Academy Awards have officially decided movie audiences are dumb–

Scott

Thats ok, Scott. They're entitled to that opinion. Most people consider these folks subpar assessors of other's intellect, or character to begin with. Lord Knows, many of them are as dumb as a rock themselves without written scripts put in front of them by other handlers. Others of them are high as a kite on expensive exotic pharmaceuticals when they talk about others levels of intellect/ character or what have you. So most people lately have naturally tuned these pearl clutchers out by now,. Few care what they do or think anymore.

Edited by BRASSO

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they had me long before the mello sustain

Me to and thanks to SCV I now know what a mello sustain is. Although I did discourage the fellow who posted on the SCV thread that he was going to name his first child Mello-Sustain. I said something stupid like what if it's a boy and Mello anything is better than sustain.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

3 hours ago, Rileydog said:

While your theory is interesting, it fails to include one simple ingredient: personal taste. I'm not a fan of The Beatles, Elvis Presley, or Michael Jackson. Personally, their music falls flat and does not stir me at all. But they have millions of fans who totally disagree with me because of taste. I saw SCV one time all summer. I didn't understand the show, but I liked it. It grooved, it raised up and down, and it sounds brilliant to me.

Well said! For, SCV’s Show was incredible! Personal taste is something everyone has a right to. I loved the Colts show this year.....LOVED IT! But, there were some that couldn’t get into it because of field mics, etc... That SURELY didn’t take away from the many, many people that have them ovations and encouragement throughout tour. People like what they like, I guess.

4 hours ago, SWriverstone said:

If anyone out there disagrees with my premise that SCV's show was a musical fail (and I'm sure hundreds or thousands do), feel free to explain (hopefully in more than single-syllable words) why you think it was great.  

Scott

Well, the judges calling is not to determine if SCV music was " great " or not. Their job is to determine which among the competitors in front of them was " better " in music performance. This is, as I stated, a subjective assessment. But there is what I'd call an " accumulating knowledge " from the DCI judging community over a series of hearings that SCV music was " better " than the others in SOME captions. I would tend to agree with them. However, your comments re. SCV should not be simply assessed in a vacumn, imo. What Corps or Corps do you believe played better music and should have been scored higher than SCV ?... and in what captions ?.... and why so, in your opinion ? I'd be interested in your take. Thanks.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

... he was going to name his first child Mello-Sustain. I said something stupid like what if it's a boy and Mello anything is better than sustain.

I thought it was Old Yellow-Stain ...

The-Caine-Mutiny-1954-Humphrey-Bogart-4.

• Haha 2