SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

While judges do see the shows several times, I think they are intended to judge the performance that is in front of them.  At some point in every season, they are seeing a corps for the first time.  DCI tries to rotate judges to different captions over the course of a season.

There were two judges in Finals--Rothe and Romanowski--that only judge three shows prior to Finals.  Rothe saw SCV twice before.  Romanowski saw them only once prior to finals.

I don't know to what degree judges watch shows when they aren't judging.  Are they supposed to?  But, it's not a given that they've seen the shows more than the fans have.

OK, thanks for the info.  I was under the impression the judges saw the shows on a more regular basis.

And just so we're clear, I am not implying any sort of dissatisfaction regarding SCVs show.  Yes, I'm not familiar with any of the music, but it is growing on me.  And the musicianship on display was unreal.

47 minutes ago, Mephistopheles said:

Edited by Bluzes
delete
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SWriverstone said:

There's a well-known and studied psychological phenomenon called the mere-exposure effect (also called the familiarity principle)

With all due respect sir it's just your opinion how the mind should work when listening to music, that's fine. I wish I had your mind 30 years ago when we placed albums we didn't like in my friends oven just to watch them bubble-up to get our monies worth. Today some of that music is among my most treasure music files and them records are worth a lot of money today. Like/dislikes change over time. Someday you may love the 2018 SCV, who knows. 

Please telling us what a good show is like is placing dci in a box. Good shows don't follow a cookie cutter approach, that would be horrible. The best thing about a show for the fans, the designers and MM is the unexpected, surprise, something different, pushing the envelope reaching new heights. There is no outline to follow, no boxed in rules, that's what makes the activity so great. You didn't like SCV OK but my mind does not have anything to do with it, sorry. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

I get the giggles reading crap from people who are all full of themselves. 

• Like 2

I saw SCV only one time this season, on the Thursday cinecast.

For me, they had one of those "I'm not familiar with a single note they're playing, but they're pretty cool and really good" types of shows. 

Honestly, I enjoyed Blue Devils' show more... I found it more fun and easier to follow... but SCV hardly was a "musical fail."  LOL.  They were relentless, from the first note to the last, and a deserving champion.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Channel3, is this you?  :27_sunglasses:

PS - Interesting, thought-provoking post.

I miss that guy. And Brutus. 

• Like 2

I like what I like, because I like it.  Not because everyone else does...but because I do.  Sometimes, it's as simple as that...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sched88 said:

When I was at Allentown for DCI East, the Mandarins performed their show as a standstill because of the rain.  I was totally bored with it because there was no movement or color guard to go with it.  When I saw them at the theater for prelims, I really enjoyed it because the movement and color brought the music to life and visa versa. That's what makes drum corps so cool to me.  I like the music and movement together.  One without the other just isn't as exciting in the context of drum corps. I wouldn't expect the same if I was going to an orchestral concert.

I agree and would probably have the same opinion with mandarins show as well if it was music only. I did enjoy the music side a lot but the visual side solidified it as one of my favorites this year. My favorite pure music show this year was honestly from the cadets but I could see other people picking Bluecoats but their style the last couple years doesn’t work for me personally.

I think everyone will have different opinions on what they actually like but I do think some of the points brought up by the OP are valid or at least good topics to discuss. The music didn’t do anything for me with SCV this year, it was all the visual that did that. Now 2003 Phantom, and probably even 2009 SCV and 2010 Phantom for that matter, give me those standstill performances any day. Those are music based programs which are usually more of my cup of tea. 

• Like 1