SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

This thread, along with other threads and posts I’ve seen inspired me to do the following retrospective. Enjoy!

Common DCP comments on SCV during 2012-2016 timeframe:

• They need to take more risks, c’mon your name is vanguard for darn sake
  • They need to do pieces that haven’t been done in DCI before - let’s hear something new vanguard!
  • They need to develop more complex show concepts to be a medal contender
  • They need to truly integrate props into their show and not have them solely as decorative pieces

2017-2018: vanguard takes a new direction, takes more risks, plays new source material, fully integrates props into drill, and creates more complex show designs. Medals for first time in 13 years (2017). Wins championship for first time in 19 years (2018).

Common DCP comments in 2017-2018:

• Your music feels cold/sterile and overly aggressive - I miss the melodic SCV
  • Your integration of props is awesome, but devils and coats have already been doing this.
  • You perform at a high level, but you’re not innovating

Dang you’re a tough crowd DCP!!

I thoroughly enjoyed, connected emotionally with, and was in awe of the performance I saw in person this year. I certainly don't expect everyone to feel that way, but the audience reactions throughout the summer, and the judge assessments of the program suggests they were doing something right musically for many listeners.

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, scvphan said:

This thread, along with other threads and posts I’ve seen inspired me to do the following retrospective. Enjoy!

Common DCP comments on SCV during 2012-2016 timeframe:

• They need to take more risks, c’mon your name is vanguard for darn sake
  • They need to do pieces that haven’t been done in DCI before - let’s hear something new vanguard!
  • They need to develop more complex show concepts to be a medal contender
  • They need to truly integrate props into their show and not have them solely as decorative pieces

2017-2018: vanguard takes a new direction, takes more risks, plays new source material, fully integrates props into drill, and creates more complex show designs. Medals for first time in 13 years (2017). Wins championship for first time in 19 years (2018).

Common DCP comments in 2017-2018:

• Your music feels cold/sterile and overly aggressive - I miss the melodic SCV
  • Your integration of props is awesome, but devils and costs have already been doing this.
  • You perform at a high level, but you’re not innovating

Dang you’re a tough crowd DCP!!

I thoroughly enjoyed, connected emotionally with, and was in awe of the performance I saw in person this year. I certainly don't expect everyone to feel that way, but the audience reactions throughout the summer, and the judge assessments of the program suggests they were doing something right musically for many listeners.

Wait, so you're telling me different DCP posters have different thoughts and opinions? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wait, so you're telling me different DCP posters have different thoughts and opinions? 

Eh, DCP always is and always will be a tough and critical crowd with a vast array of opinions. I just find it amusing how people give their opinions on what they'd like to see change...that happens with good results...and then a whole new set of (sometimes) contradictory reactions and opinions result. Just par for the course with art I guess. :bigsmile:

Edited by scvphan

5 minutes ago, scvphan said:

Eh, DCP always is and always will be a tough and critical crowd with a vast array of opinions. I just find it amusing how people give their opinions on what they'd like to see change...that happens with good results...and then a whole new set of (sometimes) contradictory reactions and opinions result. Just par for the course with art I guess. :bigsmile:

You mean not everyone is supportive of the winner that they were supporting last year to possibly win or gave every suggestion to win? shocking!:biggrin:..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol. Don't think they are saying that at all...:smile:

Well unless that poster has a spreadsheet keeping track of each person's opinion on SCV's shows each year... That's what it sounds like to me 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Well unless that poster has a spreadsheet keeping track of each person's opinion on SCV's shows each year... That's what it sounds like to me 

Well, we have seen those that will pull up a post from years ago here. Not everyone has a life I guess..lol:smile:

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well, we have seen those that will pull up a post from years ago here. Not everyone has a life I guess..lol:smile:

Just saying, it's a pretty common phenomenon I see on discussion boards online.

Someone will come up and talk about how contradictory/hypocritical people seem to be on a certain topic, but it usually turns out that due to the sheer number of people who offer their opinions, it's just a bunch of different people who have a certain opinion one way or the other and the number of contradictory opinions becomes exaggerated