SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

Random internet troll (easily identified by the use of terms like epic fail) proclaims he is an expert.

Said troll teaches us the rules for good music (source: himself, the expert)

Troll baits unsuspecting users to defend music based on his rules.

Troll replies with even more "truths" about internet law and evolution.  Makes cocky remarks about how no one has proved him wrong.

Wow.  One of the best troll bait threads I've seen ever.  Either that or you really are a dbag.  I mean I really hope you are a troll, for your own good.  This is not an acceptable way to make arguments or express your opinions.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fracker said:

Wow.  One of the best troll bait threads I've seen ever.  Either that or you really are a dbag.  I mean I really hope you are a troll, for your own good.  This is not an acceptable way to make arguments or express your opinions

If I didn't know better One may think this individual is a paid troll like other more controversial forums where they are paid $3.50 a post.

Pioneer may be behind all this, paying him to keep us distracted, reaching for my tinfoil hat!!!! Beware

Edited by Bluzes
typo

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

If I didn't know better One may think this individual is a paid troll like other more controversial forums where they are paid $3.50 a post.

if someone paid him $3.50 for the post here, they only got 2 cents worth then, imo... if that.

Edited by BRASSO

If you substituted Blue Devils for SCV in your discussion, I could probably agree on almost every point including several of their shows over the last 10 years (not all though).

Since you are speaking about SCV 2018, I have to say I disagree almost completely with you.  I was blown away the first time I saw/heard it and no other corps did that for me this year.

For me, it does exactly what I want a show to do....It takes me away from reality and I find myself completely fixed on the journey they are taking me on.  I'm not saying you have to agree with my love of the show, but I don't believe you can argue that something that moves someone on an emotional level and be objectively argued away.

Thanks SCV for creating an experience that has elbowed its way into my top favorite shows of all time.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:57 PM, MikeN said:

I argue that it's not chopped and bopped at all.  Each movement is literally an arrangement of one song - no splicing.  In fact, having now listened to the source material, they did very little cutting of the parts they took from each piece - each movement is pretty faithful to the large sections they were pulled from.

I maintain SCV did a *great* job with their music arranging this year - they were true to the source material and each piece flowed about as much as the original did with it.

Mike

I agree with what you're saying. My reference to chop and bop was really toward a style of arranging from the 90s.  I love SCV's show!  My point is that taking a lot of music and using a small amount from each source and splicing that all together is a challenge.  Even if each small segment is left relatively intact it's still a form of arranging where we are piecing together many snippets to create one whole in which each little portion may have been written by different composers in different styles, etc.  It's a type of arranging that may not always yield the best results, or at the very least can seem choppy, uneven.  In SCV's case they really did it well.  Very exciting show!  But it is what it is. 

Drum corps arranging is a 12.5 minute presentation built on numerous songs all spliced together in various ways with percussion and other interludes and transitions piecing together sections.  To someone used to listening to symphonies and overtures in the concert venue this style of arranging may come off as abrupt or incomplete.  That's all I'm saying. I am not taking the side of the OP because I feel he is being slightly snobbish in his review and too harsh for the medium of drum corps.  I personally love seeing and listening to drum corps and I know full well the challenge of trying to piece together all this music into a short production that can work on the field with visuals.  

• Like 1

I've read the critique by the OP several times.  And I've liked it less and less with every reading.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

Scott Wilkinson.

OP works in the business world, 'never marched, 'never taught any levels of music anywhere, plays the drums on the side in his spare time. Why are we giving this OP armchair QB so much attention for a diatribe on SCV being" an epic music fail" ?  He's entitled to his opinion, of course. But his elitist, condenscending smugness in his writing style and approach to us, especially given his total lack of DCI / DCA/ marching, teaching, or judging experience of any kind, is rather laughable, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DTrooper77 said:

If you substituted Blue Devils for SCV in your discussion, I could probably agree on almost every point including several of their shows over the last 10 years (not all though). 

Troll of a different color...

• Like 1