SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Why are we giving this OP armchair QB so much attention for a diatribe on SCV being" an epic music fail" ?

Because it brings us together to collectively slay the dragon. Finally those of us that really love the pure entertainment of what our wonderful MMs do for us are being heard. Thank You, M.r Scott Wilkerson, you created a real healing thread, now I have some lemon-aide to drink.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree with the original poster more.  I wonder if the OP saw this show live, or only on recordings?

I was enthralled with this show - and moved by it - from the first time I saw & heard it live in Denver.  The concept and the music WAS very emotional to me and I connected with it - imagine a world where the only way we can communicate with each other is through music.  The soloists "talking" to each other in several places is just chilling.  There is such an amazing variety of emotions in this show for me - from joyful, to longing, to beautiful.  Just wow.

There are melodies from the show, from the pit & brass opening moments to the ballad to the closer that are still in my head to name a few.  AFTER falling in love with it, I've fallen in love with listening to the Finals recording many, many times over since. I would have expected nothing less from the powerhouse team of Shaw & Rennick.  The same crew that brought so many brilliant musical shows to Regiment has hit full stride and is doing it at Vanguard.

Thank you, JD & Paul!

Harvey

• Like 2

I didn’t attend Juilliard. Heck, I haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in ages, because Motel 6 always leaves a light on for me. I’ve worn a green Aussie though and played the broad, expansive shows to which the OP refers. They were life affirming, full of farting rainbows, wonderful unicorns and good vibes. 

In my view the music worked because of how they looked this year. In my mind I don’t think the “eff it, this is drum corps!” Mello sustain version of the finale would have “fit” the classic SCV look, while the *more subtle* original ending as played by Black Dyke (which I prefer) would have. In any event, I think the days of the tunic & Aussie are long gone but if that’s what it takes to be competitive then so be it. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Still humming the show

Me too! I honestly have had "My Body Is A Cage" stuck in my head for weeks. The first hit, the second piece and the hit before the mello sustain I find myself singing in my head. But those aren't lyrical, which is a completely objective term. If it were, all music around the world would be exactly the same. 

And I got a music degree, so I would definitely know good music from bad!!

Opinions are fine, but stating opinions as facts are asinine. Subjectivity is not fact. "The emotional underpinnings of any show are the music" - says who? Says you, that's who. Some of the most memorable moments that have created emotions for me have been visual. 2018 Cadets is the perfect example. The show ends with a member dressed in the traditional Cadets uniform and I was crying like a baby. The music was great (opinion- not fact), but what this corps went through created underpinnings to that show that no other could (for me). 

How about PR's Spartacus show: "I AM SPARTACUS" is not musical, nor is the moment when the drum major gets speared. But it absolutely moved me. 

Does any of what I say speak to fact? NO. Those are 'emotional underpinnings' for ME that I constantly remember and move me more than some music does.

I will say that I LOVE SCV 2019 show brought out many emotions in me, but that cannot be!!!  The 'facts' state otherwise!! Or...... the facts aren't facts at all.

Facts are undeniable. 2+2=4. There's no other answer. If it can be proven wrong, it is not a fact. "The first criterion for great music is that—on the first listen—it moves you." WRONG! "Great music" is subjective. Plus, I've heard many pieces of great music (in MY opinion) where they didn't move me at all the first time I hear them. In a few instances I can't even listen to them anymore due to the outpouring of emotion I get from them. 

Don't tell me an opinion you have about a subjective material is fact when it isn't. 

Edited by East9900
  • Thanks 2

Art is, ultimately, subjective. That’s what makes art interesting . 

The first few times I saw a Jackson Pollock painting, I thought, this guy got paid to do this? But the more I saw his work, and the closer I got to the paintings, the more I realized that this guy had something happening in his brain that he was asking me to understand. And slowly I began to fall in love with his work.

Some people don’t like Jackson Pollock, even after seeing his work 100 times. Others love his work the first time they see it. Both, unfortunately for Juilliard, are correct in their analysis.

One of the things that is changing about this activity is the Internet is creating a way to watch and take and shows many times over a season. The smart designers are now designing shows that change and evolve as the season progresses, because they know the audience cannot stick around for a show that is the same in week one as it is at the end. You can call that a short attention span, or you can just call it the way we are now. 

Personally, I really love the shows that have many different levels of meaning and artistic representations. The shows that I get the first time, there are great too, but the shows that are designed for many different viewings over a long period of time, those shows take tremendous restraint and skill.

Regardless, I have had the misfortune of seeing more than my share of epic musical fails, and nothing that I saw this season even comes close to anything that would fit into that category. Enjoy the art, and realize that just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

I get goosebumps just humming small bits of the show. If getting a BM would lobotamize that portion of my brain, I’m glad I went with IT. 

21 hours ago, TRacer said:

I didn’t attend Juilliard.

Don't feel bad. Ted Kaczynski ( The Unabomber ) graduated Harvard.  I kinda wish now he studied the Woodwinds at Julliard instead.

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

One of the things that is changing about this activity is the Internet is creating a way to watch and take and shows many times over a season. The smart designers are now designing shows that change and evolve as the season progresses, because they know the audience cannot stick around for a show that is the same in week one as it is at the end. 

I think "the audience" would be fine with that.  Mid-season changes are mostly for the benefit of the judges.