SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

I've re-read this OP several times.  (Not dozens or hundreds of times, because I have a life and try to limit my daily stupid-hot-take consumption which Twitter eats up most of anyway.)

The first criterion of a stupid-hot-take is that, even on multiple readings, it remains as stupid as it was on its first.  A Juilliard degree holder (bolded, underlined, and italicized because it's important) who's unable to find a melody or grounded tempo in SCV's show is either lying for the sake of making a stupid-hot-take, or needs to get their money back from Juilliard.

This OP left me dumbfounded and amused.

After reading it the first time, I thought "Okay, he's obviously coming down off a really bad bender," so I gave it a few days and came back to read it again.  And in a testament to the absolute inanity of the text, the stupid-hot-takeness remained.

The OP was, plain and simple, an epically bad attempt at using a psychological phenomenon and their prestigious music degree to justify a line of thinking that no rational person would otherwise even attempt to argue.

I will now type "Lekeu's Violin Sonata in G" because I Googled obscure classical music and it came up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 8:21 AM, SWriverstone said:

Sorry ouooga—let's see how the activity is doing in 10 or 20 years. Then tell me if SCV 2018 is marketable. And anytime you'd like to convene a focus group of people on the street and ask them to compare SCV's music to the examples i posted above, I'd be happy to do it with you if we can find funding to do it. Because I'm 100% certain the average person on the street would NOT find this music satisfying to listen to. Sure, they might be impressed with the visuals...but not the music.

Scott

I'm 100% certain the average person on the street wouldn't find any corps music satisfying to listen to. It's a huge niche activity. I do know a ton of people who have been fans for years and have marched various corps for years, and I can tell you the vast majority were pulling for SCV. SCV 2018 was by a huge margin their favorite show of the summer. I'm not talking 6 people. I'm talking a few hundred. Visually AND Musically.

Just because you didn't get it, doesn't mean others didn't. As I've said before, I would rather watch SCV in a standstill than watch a complete run of anyone elses show (maybe with the exception of BD and Bloo). 

I thought '93 Star was an epic fail at the time too. I hated that show. It took me years to "get it." Now, in my opinion, it is the single greatest show ever put on a field. Opinions can change, people can grow.

I'm surprised someone who studied music can't get the simple concept that it is based on personal taste - what moves you. Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro, which I consider the single greatest artistic creation by mankind (and I'm not alone in that consideration) was a moderate success when it first premiered in Vienna in 1786. Withdrawn after ony 9 performances. Later that year, it was produced in Prague to tremendous success. Perhaps would of the greatest operatic triumphs in history. It resonated with the people of Prague, but didn't with the Viennese. I HATE post-modern classical music, but I know tons of people who love it. What resonates, moves or inspires one person can be completely different what resonates, moves or inspires another. 2018 SCV was my favorite show in literally decades. It doesn't have to be yours. You don't have to like it. But to call it an epic fail is, no offense, stupid.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

Image result for this thread is an epic fail.... meme

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I would love for Phantom Regiment to “fail” that hard next year. 

Get your point failing is good. Where is the OP, hiding under a contra somewhere? I think it's time to put his face on a milk carton if anyone has a picture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I am going to tell you something that I used to always say to great friend of mine from college. Don't over analyze. Sure, I believe the staff had some type of plan to win a championship and they executed it extremely well. Simple as that.

I love the Cavies, have dear friends that marched in the 60s we see each other all the time. This is all in fun when they win again it will be great, seeing them where they are now is fine, for now. Just having fun with your ringtone comment. When I lived in Texas, I learned not to mess with Texans but we always had a lot of fun.

12 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I am going to tell you something that I used to always say to great friend of mine from college. Don't over analyze. Sure, I believe the staff had some type of plan to win a championship and they executed it extremely well. Simple as that.

Were you commenting on something Bluzes said about the Cavies because I don't remember worrying about what the staff was up to, just not like me, the Cavies are right up there on corps I Iiked this year and most every year?

6 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I love the Cavies, have dear friends that marched in the 60s we see each other all the time. This is all in fun when they win again it will be great, seeing them where they are now is fine, for now. Just having fun with your ringtone comment. When I lived in Texas, I learned not to mess with Texans but we always had a lot of fun.

Absolutely! I am very happy about the direction The Cavaliers are going! I am impressed with their mind set in terms of design. I admit that I have a few ideas that they could do, but who doesn't! Anyway, they got me cheering hard for them every year and that is what matters!

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Were you commenting on something Bluzes said about the Cavies because I don't remember worrying about what the staff was up to, just not like me, the Cavies are right up there on corps I Iiked this year and most every year?

I may of??? Lol I actually do not remember.

• Like 1