SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:23 AM, Jeff Ream said:

The reaction to the show in many venues BD wasn’t at disproves your theory 

Basically what I am saying imo SCV had a ton of fan support because they haven't won in a really long time.   once they beat the top seed during he reg season fans just wanted them to win regardless of the show content/design

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Basically what I am saying imo SCV had a ton of fan support because they haven't won in a really long time.   once they beat the top seed during he reg season fans just wanted them to win regardless of the show content/design

Why can't it be both? Fans aren't stupid-- we understand that we aren't saddled with having to make a one-or-the-other choice. Crazy as it sounds, we can both want SCV to win AND enjoy their show. 

Is that hard to believe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

What about the droves of us that go to be entertained and don't care who wins? Rejoice with whoever wins, consoles whoever doesn't not everything is biased and corrupt. I have no jealousy or leftover baggage for BD's/SCVs accomplishments than who wins Americal Idol. It seems some need a therapy thread just to face reality. It's the 2018 MMs that worked their tail off and won, not the bottle dance we had that from the alum last year, liked that too.

10 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

obviously they garnered support for that reason - but they had a ton of support the year before and didn't win...

I would say with "all things equal" SCV / Boston / Bluecoats / Cadets probably had the most support/cheering from the fans of the top bunch

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

this thread gets my vote for silly topic of the year - when do we vote for that? I want to be first in line :lle:

Correct, But thank god we still have a silly thread or two, away from constant "Pioneer Abuse" (a new syndrome). I need more than ibuprofen, this and the corps name thread does it for me (just added a parade corps list).

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

this thread gets my vote for silly topic of the year - when do we vote for that? I want to be first in line :lle:

Image result for this thread is an epic fail

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been ages since I've posted here, but this one got under my skin enough to feel like trying to remember my password.

I have a BM degree from Juilliard—which doesn't make me more knowledgeable than anyone else—it simply certifies that I'm very knowledgeable about music—and what distinguishes good music from bad music. Contrary to popular belief, music isn't "in the ear of the beholder." It's entirely possible to judge it objectively and even place it (roughly) on a universal scale from bad to good. (If you're someone who believes the quality of music is entirely subjective, you're a hypocrite—because you logically must say the same about everything in life—which I'm sure you don't.)

I also studied at Juilliard. This post instantly took me back, reminded me of exactly why I genuinely disliked the place. 

I don't give a flip about how cleanly a difficult move is executed. It's interesting, but that will never move me to tears. (That's a bit like trying to be moved to tears by a brilliantly-designed coffeepot—it ain't gonna happen.)

Seems you've never sat in an Eames chair, punched a Ferrari through a tight corner, or walked through a Wright house just as the sun was going down. These are emotional experiences, enabled by brilliant design and flawless execution.

Using Wright as an example, you say you get Wright, but clearly... you don't. His work isn't about how it looks from the outside. It isn't even about how it interacts with nature (which is a distinguishing feature of most of his works). It is about how it is experienced, live, immersed in it from the inside looking out.

Not sure what you studied or who you studied with there, but it 100% wasn't comp. The very first thing we were taught was that music is for the composer first, performer second and the audience is nothing more than a casual observer.

We were told that if we wanted to write for an audience, that is fine. But what we'd be creating is not an art, but simply a product, and as a product its measure of worth can only be in sales.... and that we should be in business school instead... in fact, please leave now.

I am being a bit overcritical here, as a Juilliard education does have its merits. Most Hardee's will start you out immediately as Assistant Manager.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, danielray said:

"The very first thing we were taught was that music is for the composer first, performer second and the audience is nothing more than a casual observer.

If we wanted to write for an audience, that is fine. But what we'd be creating is not an art, but simply a product, and as a product its measure of worth for can only be sales.... and that we should be in business school instead... "

danielray- thank you for sharing the above portion. It is excellent!  An assessment I never had a chance to consider.

I still believe, however, what DCI designers must always remember, they ARE marketing a product, too! A steady stream of willing purchasers of tickets and digital media is essential for the organization's survival. Millions of dollars are created by being appealing to the broader audience.  Funding makes this all happen. Without an embracing effect upon viewers and listeners the means to present on such a wide scale is missing. We'd be left peddling physics lessons, so to speak.

I'm sure you understand, we are a segment of the entertainment industry, too. Finding a sweet spot between both (art and entertainment) is the challenge. Success in doing that will forever be debatable.

Edited by Fred Windish

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, SWriverstone said:

It's clear that DCI audiences are suffering from this effect in a big way. Witness what DCI judges considered the pinnacle of shows in 2018 by awarding it a championship (SCV). Now I get that drum corps is more than just music—it's "art" (though I could make a case for why it really isn't, even at the highest levels). Drill, choreography, difficulty, etc. are all part of the activity. But the emotional underpinnings of any show are the music. You aren't going to be swept to emotional highs by a single high rifle toss or a big two-handed rimshot. The music matters—a lot. 

Please enlighten us how dci audiences are suffering and how this post has anything to do with music or art. You sir would not know art/music if a ton of sleeved albums fell on your head. So music itself isn't art and musicians aren't artists. Do you insult folks for a living, seems that way. The only emotional underpinnings are your self-righteous attitude, need for real human contact and awkward way of relating to your peers and the rest of the world.

If you want to debate the merits of this or that debates do not begin with an insult. That is childish, unprofessional and just wrong. A debate does not hold 154 hostages that paid their own money it the lurch, exactly what other segments of the entertainment industry do the performers pay to be on stage. Oh that's right they have lawyers and more clout than the kids in SCV, so let us prove our worth to society here by picking on teenagers? Envious of dci much? This thread is berating the 154 members of SCV and these educators just keep piling it on, with musical professionals patting each other on the back acting that they are detached from human contact, only they have an opinion.