SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

7 hours ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

The original post has now been re-posted to /r/drumcorps ... it will now assume its final form: a brilliant, insane piece of copypasta that younger generations will cherish for months to come.

Except the OP that put it on there has to now go around reddit, telling the redditors its a copypasta. Then he eventually throws his hands up in frustration and calls his fellow redditors on there ( his words ) " stupid " for not understanding that its a spoof. The OP 's intent clearly is not what its become on there. So far anyway.. That said,' glad most on the redditors there, like us,  also believe that the troll that penned this tripe on the DCI 2018 Champion SCV was pretty ridiculous.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jeff Ream said:

after reading the first 5 paragraphs, i'm pretty sure I disagree with you on multiple levels. I felt lots of groove, i was moved emotionally, and I cant stop humming the ballad and closer.

so your 1-3 towards the end of your dissertation i disagree with every one 10000%. And this from a guy who has #####ed about DCI arranging for years

He has a BM for Julliard, though. It makes him very knowledgeable in music (like people on this discussion board, including myself, don’t have a degree in music). 

13 minutes ago, mort2885 said:

He has a BM for Julliard, though. It makes him very knowledgeable in music (like people on this discussion board, including myself, don’t have a degree in music). 

Scott (the OP) is a super smart and cool guy - however he does march to his own drummer. He's a tympanist after all!

World class musician actually!

Edited by George Dixon

On 8/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Here is a recent short online essay I found interesting: Making a Better Music List. It's one professional music critic (in the San Francisco area) responding to another (in New York) about the most memorable classical music written in the past 50 years. The genesis of both commentaries is a remark by yet another writer that no good classical music has been written since Schoenberg's Transfigured Night in 1899. One of the respondents puts together a list that eschews minimalism and specifically says that John Adams and Philip Glass write music that puts people to sleep. The other respondent loves those two composers but admits that he doesn't think highly of Transfigured Night. Who's right? Who's wrong? No amount of theorizing will tell you!

Eh, a little contrarianism is good for the intellect. For myself, I had concerns about certain trends evident in SCV's show, but the music was quite good! (Apart from the amplification problems.)

On 8/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, Eleran said:

I thought it was Old Yellow-Stain ...

The-Caine-Mutiny-1954-Humphrey-Bogart-4.

Always glad to see a Caine Mutiny reference.

• 1 year later...

Are you humming the percussion parts?  if not...EPIC. FAIL.

[lulz] I remember getting to the part about 'nothing is notable with hummable melodies' part of this post and having that big old drop in "My Body is a Cage" hum through my head. 

• Like 1