SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

This thread is like a turd that won't flush

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, WilsonStaff said:

LOL

Reading the OP, was this just a spoof? 

You know, I remember a lot of people wondering about that, but I can’t remember where we landed.  

If so, some might argue our inability to discern renders it a failure.  Others might argue it makes it a brilliant success.  I can see both sides.

12 hours ago, WilsonStaff said:

LOL

Reading the OP, was this just a spoof? 

I don’t think it is a spoof. I don’t completely agree, and there is some pretense, but it was for real. It’s a matter of “getting” drum corps. Professional  musicians can be mixed regarding drum corps. I know of professional musicians who play with a major symphony orchestra who love drum corps and marched themselves, and a colleague of theirs who believes drum corps teaches poor musical habits and is more concerned with performance than musicianship. We’ve had lots of comments on DCP about high school band directors who view drum corps as the greatest possible activity and others who loathe it. Some get it, others don’t.  It’s not just in the musical realm either. I can recall going to a show and a woman who sat in front of me supposedly was a choreographer for semi professional theater groups and taught at Berklee. Staff from corps that made their way through the stands to watch their corps perform all but bowed at her feet as the passed her, so even though I had no idea of who she was, she must be known in her field. She was very critical of what she saw as far as body movement and dance moves were concerned and saw it as harmful. Others view what happens on the field as a work of art.

As I read the original post, or maybe I should say slugged through the original post which was when the topic was first posted, I wondered if the person understood drum corps. I say this because while I enjoyed SCV in 2018 and thought the show had all kinds of interesting elements done well, 2018 was not my favorite SCV musical book. I knew why SCV won and thought the deserved to win, but I got the show, even without a Juilliard degree. I’m not sure the OP did.

My challenge with SCV 2018 is that while I know the corps was excellent and deserved to win, I see those outfits and they just don't convey SCV.   Even with a "V" on them, they were foreign to me.  Sometimes a corps can change visual identity and we can evolve, sometimes it just doesn't seem right.  2018 just wasn't right to me. 

I accept I may be living in the past with not liking the design of the uniforms, but SCV was one of my first loves along with Phantom Regiment.  Even when they weren't close to winning, I would see their uniforms and aussies and feel I knew them. 

In addition, I absolutely love Michael Gaines work with Cavaliers.  Year after year of iconic drill design.  I haven't felt the same since he started working with SCV.  I would not have identified Michael Gaines as being visual designer for 2018. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

a colleague of theirs who believes drum corps teaches poor musical habits and is more concerned with performance than musicianship.

Probably because they're not sitting in a chair while playing.  Some aspects of musicianship won't be at nearly as high of a level for marching band as for a professional symphony.  I think most of us marvel at what they do achieve. 

Edited by Lance

33 minutes ago, Continental said:

In addition, I absolutely love Michael Gaines work with Cavaliers.  Year after year of iconic drill design.  I haven't felt the same since he started working with SCV.  I would not have identified Michael Gaines as being visual designer for 2018. 

I agree to an extent, but times change.  His drill work from the 00s wouldn't be competitive today, and not because it isn't f'ing hard and amazing to see, but because it just doesn't get rewarded like dancing and props do with today's DCI.  This is what Gaines came up with using a framework (haha) of movement that does compete in today's DCI.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes, and I'm the Dauphin of France.

Then should we hire Brian Blessed to treat you with "Scorn and defiance, slight regard, contempt, And any thing that may not misbecome The mighty sender, doth he prize you at. Thus says my king."  ??

• Like 1