SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:21 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes, and I'm the Dauphin of France.

Hey I grew up in a county named after you..... and don’t pronounce it “dolphin” 🤪

39 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Then should we hire Brian Blessed to treat you with "Scorn and defiance, slight regard, contempt, And any thing that may not misbecome The mighty sender, doth he prize you at. Thus says my king."  ??

Don't rub it in.  Agincourt wasn't that long ago  😞  

On 5/21/2021 at 10:11 AM, Lance said:

This is what Gaines came up with using a framework (haha) of movement that does compete in today's DCI.  

I know I still have to get used to what is going on with the activity.  I just have to accept that SCV is not what I am used to.  This would include a few other corps that have changed identities. 

However, I do like a lot of what Gaines has done in WGI.   Particularly with Aimachi. 

On 5/22/2021 at 6:55 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Don't rub it in.  Agincourt wasn't that long ago  😞  

I could make it worse and cast you as the Japanese at the MUCH more recent Battle off Samar in 1944....same date in October as Agincourt, and another battle where the victor had no business getting into a fight.

• 6 months later...

Well, I for one believe their show is the best I've seen and heard....ever.  To each his own of course but I listen to the CD a lot.  For instance, the past two days it's ALL I've been listening to in the car over and over turning out to be about 10-15 times each day. this doesn't even count the number of times I've watch the Blu-ray.  I get chills just about every time I see it.  I'm not going to spend hours typing out a significant reply but to put it mildly, I disagree with you on every single point.  

Holy thread necromancer!

But speak of the devil, I was playing a vid of 2018 SCV in the background for one of my classes last week while they were working on a project, and it was very cool to see all of their heads shoot up in unison from their work for the big hit in the ballad.  I love that moment as much as anybody, but the bari duet leading up to it is also an example of marvelous musicianship.  

Just realized while I was typing this that those are probably my top 2 moments in the show, and here's a 3rd: the part in the 2nd number where the horns are back to back and playing those harmonized descending runs.  Once I get that moment in my head, it lingers.  

If liking epic music failures like this is wrong then I don't want to be right.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Scott, 

Do you realize you used the word "I" over 40 times?  I almost lost track of what your topic was about.

You are missing a very basic tenet of any art form - It is subjective.   

It was disappointing to read your level of condescension toward the fans, the judges, the activity, and especially those performers that put a championship program on the field. 

"I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, otherwise, I suggest you pick up an instrument, and march.  Either way, I don't give a darn what you think you are entitled to.”

Oh this gem has found new life again.

Every time I see this crop up my brain plays that amazing hit from My Body is a Cage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Geez. That ballad (My Body is a Cage) destroyed me in the most beautiful way. At the end, when the guard filtered into the middle, I was looking for a cigarette... and I don't smoke!

Edited by njthundrrd