SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I think a lot of us are just glad to see SCV finally win another one. And did you HEAR THAT MELLO SUSTAIN?  Perhaps you turn up your nose at such things as a highly trained musician with BM from Juilliard. Me, I'm just a cretin. I like things that make my pulse go up. Like THAT MELLO SUSTAIN DID YOU HEAR THAT ?!?!?!!!!

Oh I heard it alright - but I also noticed that not one mello was marching during those Mello Sustains.  It would have been much more impressive if they had been moving,

5 hours ago, sched88 said:

When I was at Allentown for DCI East, the Mandarins performed their show as a standstill because of the rain.  I was totally bored with it because there was no movement or color guard to go with it.  When I saw them at the theater for prelims, I really enjoyed it because the movement and color brought the music to life and visa versa. That's what makes drum corps so cool to me.  I like the music and movement together.  One without the other just isn't as exciting in the context of drum corps. I wouldn't expect the same if I was going to an orchestral concert.

i was thinking of posting along these lines, but this is IT to a T.

audio visual coordination is the key. Yes, music alone, some shows today are duds. Why? because it's the visual that brings it to life. Sure, 40 years ago, the visual mattered not as much. But those days have been gone since, oh, I'll say 1983. you need one to help make the other

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just saying, it's a pretty common phenomenon I see on discussion boards online.

Someone will come up and talk about how contradictory/hypocritical people seem to be on a certain topic, but it usually turns out that due to the sheer number of people who offer their opinions, it's just a bunch of different people who have a certain opinion one way or the other and the number of contradictory opinions becomes exaggerated 

I get ya BUT I do think there is some truth to what the other poster is saying also. There are that many posters on DCP

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was thinking of posting along these lines, but this is IT to a T.

audio visual coordination is the key. Yes, music alone, some shows today are duds. Why? because it's the visual that brings it to life. Sure, 40 years ago, the visual mattered not as much. But those days have been gone since, oh, I'll say 1983. you need one to help make the other

Although you are  right although I can go back to the early days of Zengali who was a mentor and I do remember him saying ( mostly with 27th then Cadets ) You think that applause for the drum line? really?.... don't take offense just repeating. In jest, I'm sure...lol. I think visual played more of a part than most remember. It at least was paving a way to big change and even when the guard didn't have a score it blended into everything else. 

Now today the world visual has gone far beyond just the guard to include everyone even more. You are right in 1983 it became even more obvious...

Guess you are old......:peek::biggrin:

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Although you are  right although I can go back to the early days of Zengali who was a mentor and I do remember him saying ( mostly with 27th then Cadets ) You think that applause for the drum line? really?.... don't take offense just repeating. In jest, I'm sure...lol. I think visual played more of a part than most remember. It at least was paving a way to big change and even when the guard didn't have a score it blended into everything else. 

Now today the world visual has gone far beyond just the guard to include everyone even more. You are right in 1983 it became even more obvious...

Guess you are old......:peek::biggrin:

oh i know it played a part, but I think the OP is just going solely on music alone, and back in the day, you could throw on your album or 8track and just listen....you didnt need the visual to help truly sell it.

that said when the 18 cd's go on sale, i'm buying solely to listen to SCV, as musically I adore the show just for the music alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i know it played a part, but I think the OP is just going solely on music alone, and back in the day, you could throw on your album or 8track and just listen....you didnt need the visual to help truly sell it.

that said when the 18 cd's go on sale, i'm buying solely to listen to SCV, as musically I adore the show just for the music alone.

I know but couldn't miss an opportunity to bust ya DUDE!

Although I started as a horn, then to guard I was actually never one of those purists who listened to recordings year after year. HELL, I don't even watch DVDs year after year. I get them all free even in WGI and usually give them away to a deserving member. My way of moving on I guess. who knows..lol I will admit every year or so I do go WAYYYYYYYY back to the 70s and early 80s and watch a few 27th, Cadets, PR, Madison SCV,  Bridgemen, early Spirit ( did love their sound)

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Just saying, it's a pretty common phenomenon I see on discussion boards online.

Someone will come up and talk about how contradictory/hypocritical people seem to be on a certain topic, but it usually turns out that due to the sheer number of people who offer their opinions, it's just a bunch of different people who have a certain opinion one way or the other and the number of contradictory opinions becomes exaggerated 

Well said.  I have been trying to point that out for years but people seem to lose interest when rational explanation infringes on dramatic reaction.

• Like 1

Image result for bad music... gif

• Haha 1