SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

13 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Is the music choppy and spliced and diced all over the place? Sure. But we could get pretty critical with most corps in that regard.  The OP is not wrong, but I think he is a bit harsh.  Some may not like SCV's music arranging, but it was not an epic musical fail...not if compared to current drum corps/marching band arranging trends.

I argue that it's not chopped and bopped at all.  Each movement is literally an arrangement of one song - no splicing.  In fact, having now listened to the source material, they did very little cutting of the parts they took from each piece - each movement is pretty faithful to the large sections they were pulled from.

I maintain SCV did a *great* job with their music arranging this year - they were true to the source material and each piece flowed about as much as the original did with it.

Mike

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You will have to remind me what they did to try and appease the older fan... because today, when I look back over the historical horizon, it looks like ever since they got control over things in 1972, they have been changing things as fast as they could afford to.  The only pause in this 40+ year flurry of changes was in the mid-1990s, during the DCI financial crisis.

1972  Propaganda ( there was alot back then ..lol )

DRUM CORPS IS DEAD!

let's also remember it was over 40 plus years ago....hmmmmmmmmmm:crazy:..that's some slow death

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You will have to remind me what they did to try and appease the older fan...

You got that right but a lot of us went through the ups and downs but lately Drum Corps Warming has set in and it's as good as the old days for us. However they are trying to take everything away. Just found out from Steve R on the broadcast that retreat is now called a review, can we have anything from the past? 

Did dci ever know what a retreat was? Each corps playing as they left the stands, trouping the audience some stopping to play their concert, a bit much to put the corps through today I know. But review vs retreat a senseless change in terminology. 

The merits of the OP diatribe are lost on me because of his smug, condescending nature. Spouting credentials and tell us his reality doesn't make it so. I see some charismatic style in Scott's writing and he probably has people hanging on his every word. We all know this type of individual. I am not easily impressed nor do I allow a bully to dictate how I  think/feel. I am frankly surprised Scott's interest in our passion has survived, trust me this activity will exist in some form to move people as it ever has. 

40 minutes ago, ouooga said:

[...]

There's plenty of ways to say you don't like something without being hurtful or telling people they're flat out wrong.

[...]

This thread's original post was an epic commenting failure, no doubt, but its mode of expression was entirely within the norms of critical writing. I've read much harsher stuff by professional critics in numerous fields.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Bottom line: there are 11 other corps from finals that would love to have the epic fail SCV had.....end of story:peek:

No doubt, but winning an award doesn't make something good. Sometimes it just means the judges were fooled. Lots of dreck throughout has been highly honored in its time.

(Not in this case, in my opinion.)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No doubt, but winning an award doesn't make something good. Sometimes it just means the judges were fooled. Lots of dreck throughout has been highly honored in its time.

(Not in this case, in my opinion.)

oh for sure BUT as I said 11 others will take it...also : HEY wheres the poster who said as their corps gets closer MOST will support them.....lol...BUCK UP ..it's human nature and happens to everyone at the top. :biggrin:

Edited by GUARDLING

48 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

"epic musical fail"

But it was a lie. Look at his lengthy outlines it's more about him selling his wares about show design. How they should be constructed I think the man is very bright and clever. What I don't like is being played by all this bait and switch, it's not about the music at all. Was it the original recordings he wanted to play for the unwashed masses on the street or was it this years MMs he wanted in his little test. Makes a big difference to me. I am very detailed orientated and would like to know what's in the test tube?

Edited by Bluzes
typo