DCA Show In NJ This Weekend

1 hour ago, totaleefree said:

I think that the NC show will be the DCA premiere for Columbus Saints.  This weekend will also give a good idea of what Class A should look like  though Cadence and Highland Regiment will be wild cards until next week.

It will be interesting to see what the Saints bring to the table.

Good to see these new faces on the Class A scene!!!

l thought some one from Highland posted they had 3 shows confirmed ? 

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It will be interesting to see what the Saints bring to the table.

Good to see these new faces on the Class A scene!!!

Enjoy your MC ,tonight make a Night to Remmber.just dodn't go down with the ship.LMAO

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

rain out

Yep.

Hurcs did their show in the rain... then the show was called, and Cabs, Cadets2, and Bushwackers performed standstills in the school gymnasium. 

Well, that's a shame.

The other two shows got off. Tight at the top of Class A now. Chops showing improvement in Open. And Saints with a score on the board, and even though it's low, and even though they had a penalty, I suspect that getting through an actual competition will be good for them.

• Like 1

As a rough guide, it's generally reasonable to assume any given corps' score will improve two points per week. Obviously every corps hopes to beat that average! And some corps fail to keep up. And those differences from the norm are what make all the difference. Nonetheless, applying that concept, we might approximately rank the corps as follows:

Open Class

93 -- Reading Buccaneers

92 -- Cadets2

90 -- Atlanta CV

88 -- White Sabers

88 -- Fusion Core

88 -- Hawthorne Caballeros

84 -- Connecticut Hurricanes

84 -- Bushwackers

78 -- Sunrisers

78 -- Cincinnati Tradition

75 -- Chops Inc.

Class A

80 -- Govenaires

80 -- Carolina Gold

75 -- Skyliners

75 -- Cadence

72 -- Southern Knights

70 -- Thunderbirds

57 -- Columbus Saints

[? -- Highland Regiment]

Curious to see how closely this approximation tracks with reality!

I went to Woodbridge  First time to a DCA show in a decade.
I watched Al Chez do his soundcheck then did the lot.
A baseball game on the back field of the HS screwed up a few things.

Listening to Hurcs brass warm up. They seemed to be struggling with blending and pitch. With a smallish hornline it is not hard for individuals to stand out.
Off to see C2 warm up. They were doing what seems to be a new visual piece to their show.
I hope it wasnt the plan to put it in that night. No offense to the vis staff but it was not working well.
I watched Hawthones drumline next. Probably the best thing I saw in the lot.
I then headed to the stadium and got a seat just as Hurcs were lining up at the gate to go on the field.
Lots of unbrellas.  I thought it was a bad idea to have anyone perform on the field, but to their credit, Hurcs did. No electronics obviously did not help the small pit.
They performed as well as they could for the situation they were in. Hats off to you Hurricanes. Job well done considering the circumstances.

Now coming on the field is Reading. Why does it take so long for a corps to set up? The rain had momentarily stopped so they brought on their electronics. A very bad decision.
The rain came back and they had to really scramble to cover the pit instruments. 10 minuets later the decision to go inside and do a standstill was made.
Bucs did not participate inside. I hope they didn't have a Mandarin moment.

Inside, Hawthorne was first up. Sorry, but inside a gym is not a place to put a drumline and a hornline that likes to play loud. They were very entertaining though and have a lot of individual talent. Oh, and I like the new uniforms.

Next up was C2. Nice blend of sound between horns and percussion. No pit. Some very long passages of silence where the pit would be featured took away from some of the performance.
Overall, I do like their show musically. 
Last up was Bushwackers. I'm sorry I did not stay. Feeling like a drowned rat in a fridge (it was cold in the gym) and already coming down with signs of a cold, I left. Sorry Bush. 

Unfortunately, the weather really played havoc. I was really looking forward to seeing Reading, C2 and Hawthorne compete against each other. Now that will not happen until prelims.

I wish all the corps the best of luck over the next 2 weekends.

A quick blurb about the NC show on Sat.

The weather in that part of NC has been rain everyday for the past week with severe thunderstorm warning and flash flood warning for most of the area around Goldsboro. However on Saturday the rain held off until after the show. The Show had Columbus Saints, Carolina Gold , doing scored shows first, then the Eastern Wayne band doing an exhibition. Then the 2 Corps each did their shows again but unscored on the 2nd run.

It was good to see Columbus Saints on a DCA field. They appeared to be very enthusiastic and well supported by parents and volunteers.  The Thursday before the show their founder had a kidney transplant so some members did not make the long drive to NC. Also there were school band conflicts which I think all DCA corps have learned can make the later DCA shows a challenge. They said they were missing 10 regular members. They had 28 marchers take the field and did a show I think called "The Struggle and Freedom"   I think some of the missing members had key parts in the show so I cannot give a good critique of what the show will look like in 2 weeks when they have all their members present.  The crowd reacted nicely to their show and gave them a good cheer when they left the  field.  I think they received a good critique and analysis of their show from the judges and I hope they have all their members present and a good idea of what the DCA judges will be looking for at prelims.  I thought they had a better run on the 2nd unscored show, maybe they were a little looser and felt more at home on the field.

Carolina Gold had all of their show complete I think they had 64 members and 2 DM on the field though 2 horn players had to play seated along the sideline due to ankle injuries. The percussion was cleaner than they had been in Atlanta and the horns were able to finish the show with the same wind they started with.  The guard did a good job filling the field and they have some new flags that give the show a more colorful appearance .  I like the "Take me On" they do which is a more mellow version of the 80's hit.  They have areas to improve on, but again I am sure the judges gave them good Critique and that they will improve in those areas before prelims.

Eastern Wayne High School is a High Stepping HBCU style band. They put on a good entertaining show and gave a nice bit of variety to the evening. Their band director said he was happy to have drum corps visit so that his people could also see some different styles of marching. I am sure that everyone appreciated the school allowing Gold to host their show there. 

Edited by totaleefree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2