Best Baritone solos or features

I was watching a video of SCVs encore last night was just amazed by the baritone solos/duet.

What are some of your favorite baritone solos or features all time?

Sarah's opening solo recapping Ballet Sacra at the start of the Cadets' show was outstanding particularly as she just did the cartwheel, ballet moves, and gymnastics before picking up the big horn. Amazing breathing and maintenance of tone throughout.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Quite a few to choose from, but the first ones that come to mind for me are Scouts in 1988 and Bluecoats in 2010, and also, though it's pretty short, the end of Phantom's ballad in 1989.

• Like 2

1979 Guardsmen, phenomenal baritone solo by Rich Moss in Tiger of San Pedro .  A little hard to hear in those non-mic'd days, but worth a listen. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

David Lang, Night in Tunisia.  Colts ‘84 (I think)

This x1000.

Carl (“The Carl”) Allison, Sacramento Freelancers 77-83. In addition to being a real showman on the podium as their DM from 80 or 81 to his age out year he was often tasked with all the bari solos in their concert numbers and his lip trills in the upper register during Malaga were simply amazing. Carl later brought his talents to the Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 2007 (we originally tried a trio in concert and it almost worked but my chops were not at his level) then Renegades after that.

Another vote should be cast for BD legend Pooh Bear (RIP) and the gentleman who stood next to him for their bari duet in 81 BD’s Dindie. Pooh Bear also came to KAC in 2007 and helped anchor the bari section. 

However, the baris for SCV this year were phenomenal. I often doubled French Horn parts at SCV so the range wasn’t what blew mind, it was the control and lip trills in the ballad or the 1927 feature; they made it look so easy! I also marveled at how seemingly effortless it was to put air through their horns— I have never played a Yamaha, but dang! 

Quick note: someone correct me if I’m wrong, but was SCV the only corps that DIDN’T use trombones at Finals? I honestly cannot remember. 

Edited by TRacer