Pioneer Member Rant

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I agree that they are more focused on sexual predators than overall safety. In 2010 a former Pio volunteer went on a rant at the DCW luncheon and several names in the activity did nothing. Many of the same things listed here.

if the corps is to survive a total administration and staff purge needs to happen and for gods sake get real busses

i assume, now that its coming from several performers, more light will be shined on this. if any one should be on probation...its Pio.

38 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

at this point...you almost have to go outside...put pressure on the parent organization. Hate to say it but i am almost ready for Dan  to stepdown

Again this article came out in a public forum and after the fact. When I #### off my neighbors with loud music emanating from my garage I tell them it could get worse when I put up a clothes line to really upset you. dci is forming a clothes line of sorts and not putting stuff in a dryer. Proving a safe space for everything these days seems to be working. Why doesn't dci feed off of that. On tour a private internet lock box a place to voice these concerns in the moment and feel secure in doing so makes all the sense in the world. Like the poster above indicates it's hard to separate fact from fiction after the season. A lot of folks will jump to a conclusion and may have the facts all wrong but the damage remains.

Why create for yourself a PR nightmare that could threaten dci's own livelihood by not getting out ahead of all this. On DCP three strikes and your out, lets expand that to something that really means something.  A complaint comes in broken horns for instance aren't there enough Tubas laying around somewhere that dci can facilitate and get a problem solved in the moment? A director or any staff member gets the first strike and dci requires an on-line sensitivity course that will help the individual or maybe a disgruntled MM gets some extra help with their issues. All done in the moment and outside the public purview. Are there any other suggestions that may fit the bill inquiring minds would like to know?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

i assume, now that its coming from several performers, more light will be shined on this. if any one should be on probation...its Pio.

Better every day yet worse every year

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Again this article came out in a public forum and after the fact. When I #### off my neighbors with loud music emanating from my garage I tell them it could get worse when I put up a clothes line to really upset you. dci is forming a clothes line of sorts and not putting stuff in a dryer. Proving a safe space for everything these days seems to be working. Why doesn't dci feed off of that. On tour a private internet lock box a place to voice these concerns in the moment and feel secure in doing so makes all the sense in the world. Like the poster above indicates it's hard to separate fact from fiction after the season. A lot of folks will jump to a conclusion and may have the facts all wrong but the damage remains.

Why create for yourself a PR nightmare that could threaten dci's own livelihood by not getting out ahead of all this. On DCP three strikes and your out, lets expand that to something that really means something.  A complaint comes in broken horns for instance aren't there enough Tubas laying around somewhere that dci can facilitate and get a problem solved in the moment? A director or any staff member gets the first strike and dci requires an on-line sensitivity course that will help the individual or maybe a disgruntled MM gets some extra help with their issues. All done in the moment and outside the public purview. Are there any other suggestions that may fit the bill inquiring mind would like to know?

Reddit mods love to delete stuff fast criticizing dci, even when newspaper links are posted giving hard facts. I never want to see people ##### about heavy handed DCP mods again seeing what I’ve seen there.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

i guess when yo only spend 350k on your corps...you get what you put into it

Regarding instruments, busses, etc., yes, that's what happens with a low budget. As far as common sense decisions and compassion for marching members, your annual budget can be $1, or $1,000,000, neither cost anything. Will you be in the running for a title with a $350,000 budget, no, would a higher budget help some of the equipment and instrument woes, perhaps, but many of the issues mentioned have little to with a  lack of resources. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Reddit mods love to delete stuff fast criticizing dci, even when newspaper links are posted giving hard facts. I never want to see people ##### about heavy handed DCP mods again seeing what I’ve seen there.

They still do in some semi-private reddit groups...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I nicely asked you yesterday if any corps used brushes before like the bloo did next year, no response?

the brushes were what caused Bluecoats' perc downfall this year -- judges hate brushes --

pro tip: if you don't want to get tanked in drums - DO NOT use brushes at any time in your book.

Edited by tedrick
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding instruments, busses, etc., yes, that's what happens with a low budget. As far as common sense decisions and compassion for marching members, your annual budget can be $1, or $1,000,000, neither cost anything. Will you be in the running for a title with a $350,000 budget, no, would a higher budget help some of the equipment and instrument woes, perhaps, but many of the issues mentioned have little to with a  lack of resources. 

thats not what i was referring to, they are very low budget...unfortunately, no amount of money can attone or prevent people for being despicable. that being said, staff...well paid staff dont do these things. 

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding instruments

would a higher budget help some of the equipment and instrument woes, perhaps, but many of the issues mentioned have little to with a  lack of resources. 

When you're an upper tier corps so much equipment is free (sponsor want their name associated with it) ...corps like Pioneer have to pay for everything they've got...makes it extremely hard no matter the budget IMO...