Pioneer Member Rant

2 minutes ago, tedrick said:

the brushes were what caused Bluecoats' perc downfall this year -- judges hate brushes --

Thanks brushes only work with amps anyway but it was different

The medical issue is one lawsuit away from rocking the world of DCI forever...blame will not just fall on the member corps involved either...DCI needs to step up to the plate and DO something...I have heard they DID do a little...but this needs to be in a more TRANSPARENT and public way IMO...

• Like 1

"....Roman gave us a rant for using DCI's new ethics and safety form after DCI emailed him the reports (obviously DCI removed all information for who sent them). Because in his words, any problems we have should stay in the corps. Basically telling us not to use the resources available to us when they can't get their own #### together. Which if I'm not wrong, completely goes against the policy that he's yelling at us for using.... "

As I mentioned in another thread, if this is true, it's a clear violation of the DCI Code of Conduct and Ethics.

Reading the comments about the medical staff...when I went to Red Land HS when Cadets held the Open House, there was an trainer carefully going over and inventorying a pretty large stockpile of medical supplies. Obvious conclusion I drew, this has to be extremely important and also done right.

Some of the poster's comments are confusing and unclear in that area.

"With at one point staff telling them to not take care of anyone with injuries, even though they were literally the only people at Pioneer with any certifications or any actual experience in the medical field."

What 'staff' are they referring to? Do they mean that the corps staff and/or management told the medical staff not to take care of the kids?

Or are staff members double tasked? I see no trainers/health related people listed on their website. The situation is unclear to me. One would think that any medical staff told not to appropriately treat members by corps management and staff would at least tell them (insert colorful phrase). Besides the ethical issues... it also could be a serious legal issue if a member got hurt.

"Buses constantly breaking down, with the AC not working on both member buses half way through tour. With one of the buses right before Allentown going in to get minor repairs and the mechanics ended up making it worse. Forcing Pioneer to find another bus to get through the season. Which ended up with us getting a bus from the organization that use to run the Lake Erie Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps, who also runs the Lake Erie Fanfare DCI show. And yes, while they acted quick to get us a bus another bus for our saftey (which I think may have only happened because they were already on DCI's radar) This bus didn't had 4 less seats, as well as an expired license plate and with a USDOT number that is no longer active."

Some of this paragraph is really confusing. (Grammar Police Chief Garfield would have a field day with this if he were so inclined :cool:) Even I've known about the buses and how bad they were for years. That's been an open secret. Granted, the "rest of the season" was about a week. it's a 6 hour run from A-Town to Erie in a normal car.... I have a feeling this whole thing was a mess.

4 less seats notwithstanding on this replacement bus... Unsure about the plates. Vehicle registration in PA doesn't require you to have the little dated sticker on the corner anymore, so a vehicle could appear to be out of registration and actually be current now. You'd have to ask the police now. The real trick would be whether the PA inspection stickers were current. I have no clue about the USDOT number. If any of the three things are out of date, that's bad.

As for the racist and sexist remarks, those should have been reported to DCI- the alleged example given is bad, in really bad taste ...but likely not a smoking gun. I'm not a professional arbiter of it, I don't know for certain.

Bad Tubas? Well, at 11-12k a horn, and the buses are bad/where will you spend the money... yeah. But not a health and safety issue. Did they try a fund raiser to get new ones? Even 6 would be about fifth of their budget if the one poster is right.

The only thing I can say is this- now that the poster is an alum, they have a certain clout and should use it through their alumni. In fact, so should pretty much anyone that's been there this season if this stuff is true. My guess is that a lot of their alumni of recent years move on to a better corps and want to forget and leave it behind. Maybe it's time they unify and make themselves heard.

Edited by BigW
proofreading

3 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I'm just going to say one thing:  DCI should require all corps to have a med staff.  This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

So you're saying this isn't the case currently?  

1 hour ago, Mega said:

Definitely needs investigating by DCI. They should have a Compliance Officer on staff that does these health checks on the corps and their members.

DCI should be the last ones to investigate anything to do with their baby.  Their investigation track record, from what I've been told, is not very good. 

22 minutes ago, tedrick said:

the brushes were what caused Bluecoats' perc downfall this year -- judges hate brushes --

pro tip: if you don't want to get tanked in drums - DO NOT use brushes at any time in your book.

Cavaliers had brushes/rakes used in 2011, from what I recall, it didn't seem to hurt them.

On topic, DCI's Board of Directors (some of whom do lurk here) have a fiduciary responsibility to investigate, and if necessary, police this situation. Pioneer's lack of resources aren't an excuse, and the lack of oversight from their inbred (for lack of a better term) management and Board are a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So you're saying this isn't the case currently?  

I think they could be correct. No one is listed as having those duties on the Pioneer website.

Edited by BigW
spelling O.o
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think they could be correct. No one is listed as having those duties on the Poineer website.

Last I looked I think nutritional director position was blank.

edit: checked and nutritional to be announced which was same last month. And medical position not even listed 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BigW said:

"....Roman gave us a rant for using DCI's new ethics and safety form after DCI emailed him the reports (obviously DCI removed all information for who sent them). Because in his words, any problems we have should stay in the corps. Basically telling us not to use the resources available to us when they can't get their own #### together. Which if I'm not wrong, completely goes against the policy that he's yelling at us for using.... "

Some of the poster's comments are confusing and unclear in that area.

"With at one point staff telling them to not take care of anyone with injuries, even though they were literally the only people at Pioneer with any certifications or any actual experience in the medical field."

What 'staff' are they referring to? Do they mean that the corps staff and/or management told the medical staff not to take care of the kids?

Or are staff members double tasked? I see no trainers/health related people listed on their website. The situation is unclear to me. One would think that any medical staff told not to appropriately treat members by corps management and staff would at least tell them (insert colorful phrase). Besides the ethical issues... it also could be a serious legal issue if a member got hurt.

The only thing I can say is this- now that the poster is an alum, they have a certain clout and should use it through their alumni. In fact, so should pretty much anyone that's been there this season if this stuff is true. My guess is that a lot of their alumni of recent years move on to a better corps and want to forget and leave it behind. Maybe it's time they unify and make themselves heard.

This is not the only account I've heard concerning these medical issues...Interestingly enough it closely parallels details that were quite similar yet were from a completely different source and therefore has only validated the account I was aware of about 3 weeks ago concerning the medical issue...

According to my sources DCI was aware of this medical issue at San Antonio...which has me even more concerned...thank goodness tour for Pioneer is over for this season...

Edited by Liahona

42 minutes ago, Liahona said:

When you're an upper tier corps so much equipment is free (sponsor want their name associated with it) ...corps like Pioneer have to pay for everything they've got...makes it extremely hard no matter the budget IMO...

Just a suggestion that some thought is given to spreading vendor gratuities evenly amongst the corps.