Pioneer Member Rant

32 minutes ago, BigW said:

With at one point staff telling them to not take care of anyone with injuries

Nice post. What I read into it was it was other MMs that had some specific training and were told not to help. All semantics anyway if you need help and a person has the ability to help where is the problem?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Nice post. What I read into it was it was other MMs that had some specific training and were told not to help. All semantics anyway if you need help and a person has the ability to help where is the problem?

On the face of it, YES. Lord knows if there's a fear of liability because a MM helped another with something because no one else would or could. If that's an issue, why isn't there someone capable on staff!? :blink:

We both know, and many of us, 'grumpy' or not... that the days of "Just cut that leg off if it hurts, you'll grow a new one, git back on da field, kid" have been over for a long time.

Maybe it's reading that this stuff is alleged to be happening is making us 'grumpy'. :innocent:

49 minutes ago, BigW said:

Some of this paragraph is really confusing. (Grammar Police Chief Garfield would have a field day with this if he were so inclined :cool:)

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

Maybe it's reading that this stuff is alleged to be happening is making us 'grumpy'. :innocent:

Nope, it appears you're just grumpy.  :blow:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Just a suggestion that some thought is given to spreading vendor gratuities evenly amongst the corps.

Interesting-- The question would then become... will the associated manufacturers make their money back by increased sales by making sure some manufacturer supply every corps with a free horn or drum line?

The next and extremely loaded one is this: If I'm the guy at System BigW, the bestest Marching Baritone in existence, would I want to sponsor and have my good name (LOL) associated with a team that's not well managed and has a bad rep?

Edited by BigW
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Flores said:

thats not what i was referring to, they are very low budget...unfortunately, no amount of money can attone or prevent people for being despicable. that being said, staff...well paid staff dont do these things. 

Without taking this thread in a totally different direction, I have been uncomfortable with the way some staff members have treated marching members in some of the top corps too.  

Edited by Tim K

18 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Just a suggestion that some thought is given to spreading vendor gratuities evenly amongst the corps.

Telling sponsors that they have to support corps whose use of their gear provides no marketing value is a quick way to force them out of sponsorships entirely. If I'm a private business, I'll partner with those who'll have the greatest benefit to me. Bluntly, Pio brings no credibility to the table when it comes to endorsements.

Every corps who is a top competitive corps now was once a small, local corps on a tight budget. They decided to aim higher, took a risk, and saw the reward. Pioneer, from what I can gather, is essentially a labor of love (or a vanity project, you decide) whose management doesn't aim any higher and doesn't want to expand their operations/take risks that could allow them to grow. At one point or another, it's dishonest of DCI to sell them as "one of the world's top drum corps" when they're consistently 25-30 points off the lead by season's end. Add in the difficulties they're having in providing safe conditions to their members, and you begin to question the value of what they're doing in the first place. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weedyweidenthal said:

Sounds like a few legitimate major complaints and then a lot of #####ing... That said, it's surprising that parents still let their high school aged children march with Pioneer. It's not like these complaints are new. Roman has had so many allegations made about him acting this way in the last decade, there were sexual harassment allegations against the corps, the corps has been struggling financially ever since I marched starting back in 2007 so they can barely field a corps... I might be blasted for this, but it could be time to pack it up.

How many parents are new the activity and just don't know about it?  Even those who have been exposed to Open Class may not have knowledge about the inner workings of World Class or have people they can ask.  Then, of course, you have the ever present promise of change.  Shoot --- some of their PR media early season even had me fooled!

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

When you're an upper tier corps so much equipment is free (sponsor want their name associated with it) ...corps like Pioneer have to pay for everything they've got...makes it extremely hard no matter the budget IMO...

This is true in both lower-tier world class AND open class.  Not only do they pay for everything outright, but they also don't typically have the support base behind them and cannot afford to pay staff as well as other corps.  There are multiple ramifications that come from these placements and/or their budgets.  Many of these corps are barely breaking even or are doing so with only a handful of admin staff.  Not justifying any actions of course, but just an important factoid to keep in mind.  Not all have it as easy as others.

I said it before and I'll keep saying it: there will be NO improvements to Pioneer in any way, shape, or form as long as Roman Blenski is around.

• Like 5