Pioneer Member Rant

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Without taking this thread in a totally different direction, I have been uncomfortable with the way some staff members have treated marching members in some of the top corps too.  

It's not easy, Tim. I made a personal decision years ago to err on the side of the individual, if they're hurt, they're hurt, not dogging it. I figure it's on their conscience if they're faking. But given the largely hand picked status of the MM's, I just can't see why they'd be 'wimping out'. Even in this case, the individual or their families or sponsor's shelled out a lot of money. You're going to do it if you can and rehearse, not fold.

Edited by BigW

23 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Telling sponsors that they have to support corps whose use of their gear provides no marketing value

Yes I knew that going in been showered with marketing values my whole career being on the buyers end of large corporations. If there is a point it is that we may need to knock some doors down, bring change. If may be as easy as emailing the vendors and explain to them they need to spread the wealth a little better for the good of their own lively hood, future sales w/o dci around for convention space someday. Heck if we really cared about the corps outside the top 8 the whole financial structure would be different. dci by-laws create some of the ills that affect the lower tier corps. There are reasons abound for all of this. If dci needs to be taken apart and put back together top down then that's what it takes.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

19 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I said it before and I'll keep saying it: there will be NO improvements to Pioneer in any way, shape, or form as long as Roman Blenski is around.

There certainly have been many great people who went there to help improve and asked to only to leave as fast as they came in.

All corps do have the choice as to who they want to be as it should be and that should be respected. With that said, there are consequences to every choice and one has to realize that. You also can not expect to reap a benefit through others choices

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I said it before and I'll keep saying it: there will be NO improvements to Pioneer in any way, shape, or form as long as Roman Blenski is around.

That seems to be what a number of people are saying.  And some people are also saying he is so enmeshed that he can't be gotten rid of without ending the corps.  Not that I know anything.  I don't even know why a guy with an italian sounding first name and a polish sounding last name always wants to play irish music.

Just now, GUARDLING said:

There certainly have been many great people who went there to help improve and asked to only to leave as fast as they came in.

Roman must be older than dirt. Can a by-law be created that you must retire at a certain age. At some point in your old age you loose touch with the youth, everything they do seems wrong and upside down. I can't tell you how much more I understand about the ways of the youth just having band kids and their parents over to the house. They are believing the world can be a different place and making it happen. 

Term limits are a good thing for dci where the kids don't age but everyone around them do. You fall out of touch and are in the wrong business at a certain age having all this responsibility over an age group you continually fallout of touch with.

6 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Roman must be older than dirt. Can a by-law be created that you must retire at a certain age. At some point in your old age you loose touch with the youth, everything they do seems wrong and upside down. I can't tell you how much more I understand about the ways of the youth just having band kids and their parents over to the house. They are believing the world can be a different place and making it happen. 

Term limits are a good thing for dci where the kids don't age but everyone around them do. You fall out of touch and are in the wrong business at a certain age having all this responsibility over an age group you continually fallout of touch with.

I dont believe this. There are some great people in the activity with longevity and still even designing at a top 5 level and often winning and not just DCI, all aspects of the activity. I also know those in their 30s that don't have a clue and don't relate at all. AS far as PIO I'm very sure his thoughts were the same at any age.

I myself have had a very long career in this activity , for me at least in part is that I am not a purist. I'm not saying being a purist is bad BUT for me, it forces me to move forward and think different as time passes. This also doesn't mean I do not pull things from the past in many ways.

Edited by GUARDLING

So if DCI tells Pioneer to clean up it’s act and Roman tells them to pound sand what can DCI really do.

make sure Pioneer is not allowed into any DCI sanctioned shows and....

Actually that applies to any DCI policy but let’s stay on topic 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

.So if DCI tells Pioneer to clean up it’s act and Roman tells them to pound sand what can DCI really do.

make sure Pioneer is not allowed into any DCI sanctioned shows and....

Actually that applies to any DCI policy but let’s stay on topic 

If in fact, they are putting their members in danger and not supplying a safe and healthy experience that is one thing  and  DCIs business IF it's the opposite NO DCI does not have a right to tell them what kind of a corps they should have. imo

Now if you are talking should they be a WC corps that's another story

Edited by GUARDLING

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I dont believe this

It difficult to come up with a one size fits all solution. If your worth your weight then they could be placed in an advisory position and let the person they been grooming take over to have a younger face directing the MMs. dci is a business and in business everyone over 50 is looking over their shoulder not that it is right or good but does keep one on their toes.